3d printed friction shifters

Whoa! Durability testing?

mashing the like button so hard my mouse spontaneously combusts

Also trying to quantify the clutchfeel with the strain gauges. So far, it’s testing the lego’s durability.

Also been working on an idea for a one piece bar end clamp

8 Likes

turgid in this thread too

Boyyoyoyoyng

2 Likes

You probably know this, but “clutch power” is what the lego friction fit is called.

I once handled a neat stack of about 30 non-production 2x4 bricks that were stacked in order of clutch power. The top ones fell off with a breeze. The bottom ones required tools to separate.

1 Like

oh this is nice.

Make it go faster!

1 Like

I need a set of these for my wife’s 3x8 winter bike.

Any update on when I can buy

This project is so cool

Just posting to say that I too would like to buy these

Thanks for the interest, all. I had to take a break due to mental health SNAFU. Starting to get back into it though.

Are you thinking one-handed robot pusher/friction dangler collabo because I love that idea. DT require some thinking and changes to the parts stack since it goes into a frame boss instead of something I control.

4 Likes

update us plz, hope all is well

2 Likes

I just threw down for some Paul Thumbies for my wife, but I still need some shifters for my winter bike!

Any chance I could get STLs of the first gen bar ends (for driving a dropper, doesn’t need a clutch spring)

still thinkin’ about this geometry.

I’ve been doing a bar-end spurcycle bell mount that uses the aluminum wedges from a bar end shifter, but I might have to give something like this a go

2 Likes

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I just signed up and wanted to pop in and say this is stellar. Compared to some of the other 3DP thumbies I’ve seen this is miles ahead… beyond.

Just wondered if the orange one still holding up? Seems it may be abandoned or on the ol’ backburner (I feel this) but if you’d indulge I’d be super interested to know what your learnings, if any, were on this project @crowding

post yr bike new person

3 Likes

So one of thew things I learned here is that posting unfinished stuff for feedback really does not work for my motivation. Something about other people’s expectations, or really even my idea of other people’s expectations, superimposed on a project started for fun, just rattles around in my head and drives out the fun. Might be a consequence of some shitty bosses I had.

I kinda got stuck/diverted between getting my test rig to output data and looking into winding my own clutch springs. I’m also kinda bummed that fusion360 changed their license so I can’t run FEAs any more. I’m not about to spend money for that horrible pile of featuritis wrapped in crap UX, though, so I might have to learn some other tools

1 Like