A safe space to complain about jackass humans

City is working on connecting a major interurban all the way into the city and the last mile or so is along a crazy old industrial road, they are thinking about adding a raised crosswalk and central median to slow down traffic. These would be good things.

If you have a second could you e-mail them and say you support the changes?
WestmarginalWay@seattle.gov

5 Likes

OMG yes.

I grew up in West Seattle and West Marginal (speed) way has always been sketchy. The Duwamish trail provides needed NMT options and physical traffic calming measures such as median islands wherever possible and raised crosswalks are critical infrastructure to ensure safety for all road users.

2 Likes

Had a close call with a car on a walk yesterday. I was crossing the street in our residential neighborhood at a 4 way stop sign, 20mph speed limits everywhere. This grey Pontiac firebird comes charging thru at least 45mph, buzzes me within a few feet, doesn’t even slow down for the stop sign, throws sparks off the crown of the intersecting road, and then also ignores a do not enter / one-way sign

Last week, a guy in a stolen car hit (and killed) two pedestrians on purpose just a few blocks away

WTF

3 Likes

My current WFH schedule has me up walking the dogs between 7:45am and 8:30am. And it is bedlam, even now that school is out! Everybody is driving in the neighborhood like a complete sociopath. Which bums me out because I have no clue what you do at this point. There’s a 0% chance we get any traffic enforcement, and I’m skeptical that’s the answer anyway. You basically just wait for people like that Firebird driver to total their vehicles and/or die behind the wheel and/or kill somebody else

6 Likes

After he zoomed off into the distance I was just standing there dumbfounded! Then I was mad and complaining for a while, and eventually my wife asked, “Guess you need a gun?” Lmao

7 Likes

i really feel fortunate for where i live. i know everyone always says “the drivers here are the worst” but i think maybe we have the best drivers? I’ve commented on this before but the type of thing you’re both describing is really not common here

1 Like

This bridge project (I-5 bridge over Columbia between Oregon and Washington) is cursed. Look at this proposed janky-ass, model train looking on ramp:

https://twitter.com/bortblad/status/1667252260022423552

1 Like

Pfft. Goddamn but those bridge designers don’t care about anything other than making it easier for smog machines to get across the river.

I notice that they show an interurban route alongside the bridge, too; that’s doomed if they’re also suggesting a 10-layer spiral for cyclists, because a serious plan would put a bike route alongside the trolleys a’la the Willamette trolley bridge.

wow that spiral, instead of a longcut that naturally adds elevation

This is hilariously bad. How many decades is this i5 bridge replacement been going on? It was old news when i lived in pdx and I’ve been gone almost 10 years.

Washington politicians scuttled the project in that era, walking away citing cost reasons after millions had already been dumped into planning. They’re back on board now but everything is wildly expensive now.

1 Like

I would put a brevet on it because that is a fun bicycle feature

Also
No tolls allowed
No crime train passing
All from Vancouver residents

What else am I missing?
All the consultants that made money for nothing?

I was stopped at a left-turn signal last night waiting for cross traffic turning left. 2 or 3 cars in there was a Tesla with the driver’s socked foot out the driver window and as it passed I could clearly see the driver scrolling on his phone

Amsterdam was considering something like this to connect North Amsterdam. I don’t think they settled on anything yet.

A video: De IJ Klopper on Vimeo

3 Likes

I think they definitely make sense in space-constrained locations (or underground!)

We have a small 1.5-loop path to go from a park to a bridge here in downtown and it’s…fine. But many, many loops when you have the whole waterfront to work with seems like poor planning.

i would ride the spiral once, it looks fun

4 Likes

all i can picture is a thps2 grind balance meter

12 Likes

Spiral needs to be banked so you can blast down it

1 Like

truly the GOAT of trick-combo games