that would be nice…
apartment (in my fiancee’s mind) is too small for another bike

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main ... ts_id=2312

or the much more expensive:

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main ... ts_id=3316

[quote=“artblur”]that would be nice…
apartment (in my fiancee’s mind) is too small for another bike[/quote]
Get rid of her bike.
How often does she actually ride anyway?
That white chain is as pristine as your shiny marble floor.

Edit: I would definatly go with the tange. I feel like super expencive headsets are a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere (like blingin wheels)

yeah… she rode it 4 times.
when i suggested that i sell she flipped

i have to add…
this morning when we were getting off the elevator a chick with a nice road bike saw me & my bike & said “oh, i didn’t know there was another cyclist in the building” & i said “i think it’s just you & me”
fiancee was all like “what about me?”
i tried hard to contain myself… i pointed out that the lady’s husband (or maybe just another random dude with a bike) was standing behind her… and that i meant it as a joke.
i didn’t though.

do you have a good used shop near you? i’ve scored countless older NOS campy record/duraace parts on the cheap for budget builds at a couple of places near me.

if not, ebay.

[quote=“snakesakti”]do you have a good used shop near you? i’ve scored countless older NOS campy record/duraace parts on the cheap for budget builds at a couple of places near me.

if not, ebay.[/quote]
no such luck.
we do have a track specific shop called business cycles. extremely expensive.
we have parts bins at some of the local shops that occasionally have a deal or two.
but, one of my closest friends just changed jobs from a LBS to the biggest distributor of parts down here (J&B) so i’m hoping to get some wholesale prices on a few things.

regarding the headset issue: i would call around to some of your local shops to see if any of them have the tools to mill the fork crown race down to a standard ISO (that’s what i’m going to do). it shouldn’t cost a whole lot of money, and opens up a lot more options as far as headset choice goes.

edit: and if anyone cares, here’s what i’m planning on building mine up with:

rear wheel: Superbe Pro 28h to Araya SA-30 with 17t milwaukee cog
front wheel: haven’t decided yet
bars/stem: Nitto b123 + 90mm drop stem
cranks/chainring/bb: Dura-Ace track Superbe Pro 50t+ Hatta R9400
headset: Primax needle bearing (en route)
seat/seapost: Selle Italia Flite + Timec aero post
pedals: beat up ATACs

as far as paint goes, i’m just going to rattlecan it. this is going to be my street machine, so it doesn’t have to look pretty.

oh noes! another guy in portland riding a 53t!

it’s an instant converation piece, i promise. i ride 53x19 and everyone, especially roadies are like daaaaaamn son! what are you thinking? i tell them it’s a 73" but i guess it doesn’t register. only one guy ever, an older gentlemen and i think a triathlete, said “hmm… yeah, that’s about right for the street”.

oh noes! another guy in portland riding a 53t!

it’s an instant converation piece, i promise. i ride 53x19 and everyone, especially roadies are like daaaaaamn son! what are you thinking? i tell them it’s a 73" but i guess it doesn’t register. only one guy ever, an older gentlemen and i think a triathlete, said “hmm… yeah, that’s about right for the street”.[/quote]

53x18 for 77.something"

^ ^ ^ not a bad ratio, anywhere above that would be a little too steep for the streets though in my opinion, esp. certain parts of portland.

[quote=“toddistic”]just tell them to tape off the threads… thats why im going to the place im going… they did the USA 2008 olympic bikes as well as tons of the bike builders here in Portland. peace of mind is worth the extra $$$

i heard its around $125 for one color. I’m thinking I’ll be spending around $200.[/quote]

you are willing to pay more for your paint than i am then… i wanted to go real fancy but only want to dump about $100 into powdrcoating…

co-signed. hopefully this satisfites the ‘itch’ for awhile. i’m trying to build it up in a similar fashion to my anchor, which was by far my favorite build.

that’s about to be what my stable will be lookin like. then i have my sights set on some geared drivetrains after that :bear:

oh, and if anyone cares:
wheelset: open pro cd’s to gun metal iro hubs
cockpit: nitto shallow drop steel njs stem to b123aa’s
alternate: nitto pearl to nitto bullhorns
seatpost: nitto jag or campy aero.
saddle: turbomatic or cinelli perforated black mystery saddle
crank/bb: dura ace, eventually going to get that white industries ISO BB.
headset: stock alien or tange
tires: light blue pro race 3 up front, whatever’s free on the rear.

Im sure this will be blasphemes to many of you but…how would I go about converting this to threadless? Im planning on a King headset and threadless stem if that matters.

i don’t really think it’s blasphemy, just extra work. i’d rather just use a steel stem. i’m not exactly aiming for stiffnes on this build - quite the opposite infact. i want something that floats over the bumps while still riding with 23/25’s. lugged steel with the old school diameters and box rims do a lot to assist in that.

my build (subject to change)

headset: tange
bars: Nitto 123aa
stem: Nitto Jaguar 90mm

bottom bracket: Shimano BB-UN54 107mm
crankset: Miche Primato
chainring: Miche 53t

rims: H PLUS SON in silver
front hub: Shimano Dura-Ace 7710 Front Track Hub
rear hub: Shimano Dura-Ace 7710 Rear Track Hub

ballin’ wheelset. sapim cx-rays will ice that cake nicely (while emptying your wallet…).

yah the wheelset is gonna set me back a few

I can’t wait to see all you guy’s builds!
I feel like a kid at christmas!

[quote=“toddistic”]my build (subject to change)

bottom bracket: Shimano BB-UN54 107mm
crankset: Miche Primato
chainring: Miche 53t

[/quote]

I thought Miche cranks were ISO and would be best not to be used with JIS bottom bracket like the Shimano listed.

artblur: business cycles isn’t expensive, he just sells quality product.

looking forward to seeing some builds.

i’ve been there a few times… and if his site’s prices are any indication… he’s a bit expensive compared to Ben’s Cycle (who I order online from all the time)