All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

to me the latency of release/rebound seems even more critical

like for it to matter that there’s extra air molecules in there, they need to freely be able to come out to play in the open chamber

I talked to my suspension guy about this when I picked my bike up yesterday… He says he’s yet to see them… But the use case is for someone who has no more volume spacers to take out… he basically described it as a negative spacer… which seems like it would have a very narrow application

1 Like

Looking for forks for sup’s bike (Orbea Loki/Laufey hardtail) and I am thinking that I could go a little larger than the apparently 120mm fork on there now (which looks really long for a 120 to me–135ishmm of exposed stanchion??).

Thoughts? Hers is the Small. It is a Suntour Raidon 650b+ and as you can see the bike was designed with both 650b+ and 29" in mind.

edit: bikecad told me the bb would go up by 8mm with a 140mm fork (307 to 315) if everything else is static, so that seems fine.

I showed this to my PhD chemist deskmate. His take was that charcoal adsorbs gas just fine but he also wondered whether the <1sec timescale of a given fork impact is relevant.

2 Likes

Yeah, elsewhere on the site they say that you you know it works because you have to overcharge the shock to 170psi, but then if you check later it’ll be at 140psi due to the air adsorbed.

But that seems to imply that it happens over >minutes to hours. If it adsorbed fast enough to act like a spring you would just pump it to target pressure and it would already be adsorbed

1 Like

Fucking most wholesome race team out there, the only thing that keeps me coming back to the WC content <3

3 Likes

Took my first spill in a while on today’s group ride, front wheel washed out exiting a rock garden. Get me into some kneepads? Anything I should be looking at other than Atlas pads from big S?

G-form and the 7idp ones I have used and liked. Both were easy to pedal in. Atlas are really thin bois. But could try them coz probably cheap.

1 Like

i had fox enduro sleeve and they were good
i have poc vpd now and they get annoying after 1 hr or so

1 Like

Original flavor G-form fit very nicely under pants. Their new stuff is more robust but bulkier. Both have been fine for pedaling.

The first day out with my Leatt 3DF pads, I washed out in some babyheads and went down. Surprisingly, there was no pain the next day.

the tldr though is get what fits. some brands have surprisingly very different ideas of what size peoples quads and calves are. i like my ixs pads (have the longer ones but i forget what they are? carve maybe? i had the shorter ones and the longer ones are actually more comfortable), but i can barely fit them over my calves. they fit lower on the quad so less of an issue there.

i bought a set of dakine pads in medium once and couldn’t even get them on. returned for larges. ended up finding them too stiff to be comfortable and only wore them for DH until i bought the longer IXS pads.

first pads i had were raceface and they were OK, very long, and also in size medium barely fit my quads. the strap had to be as loose as possible to not feel like it was cutting off circulation.

it is def possible to hurt your knees still with knee pads (lol even give yourself a bone bruise!) but they are excellent at preventing abrasions and lessening the bruising. i ride with them on 99% of mtb rides.

2 Likes

Love Troy Lee raids although they are a “shoe must come off” model. Can pedal uphill with them on and forget they are there.

Probably whatever you do, get the D3O padding that I think most pads use now anyway.

1 Like

I’m halfway to buying this off some fellow in Vancouver on pinkbike

2016 Factory Series 34 FLOAT 27.5 140

Part number: 910-01-936
Description: 2016, 34, K, FLOAT, 27.5in Plus, F-S, 140, 3Pos-Adj, FIT4, Matte Blk, Orange Logo, 15QRx110, 1.5 T, 51mm Rake, AM

Great match for her black bike with orange accents.

Going from 120 to 140mm fork, 200mm rotors, 4 pot calipers on a slack hardtail. Jealous it’s not anywhere near my size lol.

1 Like

Whoops got her tire inserts. Just need a better front tire now. Thinking a 27.5x2.6 kryptotal. This is fun.

I might not be able to resist shaking up the cockpit situation:

Some cooler grips and a shorter stem? Risers? I guess I have to think through the implications of how the geo has changed with this fork. It is 20mm taller and has about 10mm more offset.

2 Likes

anyone own a ripmo AF? my bro is looking at a 2021 slx/xt/dvo… anything to look out for?

Great bike by all accounts. My friend Hannah has one, I’ve helped her with some stuff on it here and there, seems like a good set up! She absolutely rips on it and has raced enduros with no complaints, she’s thinking about upgrading to the carbon version at some point, but doesn’t seem to have any urgency.

They’re a pretty common on the trails around here, helps they’re local. Lots of good folks working there too!

4 Likes

havent hard anything bad. they’re very well regarded bikes, just a hair on the heavy side.

1 Like

Swapped bikes with a friend and rode 1 downhill for like 2 minutes. He likes it, I like it. It’s a good bike and I heard that there were great deals on the 2021 models. I might buy one if someone would buy my Jones. Thank goodness that my apartment is already like 2 bikes over capacity.

update he bought it, went for a ride this arvo and it’s a v nice bike

3 Likes