All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

they usually aren’t lol

I’m more and more into the CARBONDA, esp. now that I realize it is a 120/120 platform. And a carbon frame I can afford to replace.

But with the way the bikes market is right now, I feel like the longer I dither the more options I’ll have at my price point.

3 Likes

Not the most stellar reviews from the latest victim. Says paint is flaking off his month-old frame.

Maybe 2022 wasn’t the best time to order direct from China.

I love dis bike

12 Likes

That looks like a very good bike

1 Like

During my ride today, my brain reminded me of the existence of the Jay-Z song Izzo.

You should get the YT, just to put a “H to tha Izzo” on the top tube and ride it in Prospect Park.

2 Likes

It’s true and I keep thinking of that song when I see the bike name.

1 Like

Just missed out on the first piece of my future mtb. Such a shiny object for a mere $200. I was apparently an hour late in contacting the seller.

What do folks think about the Rockshox Deluxe Ultimate vs a good ol Fox DPS? Seems like Rockshox did some cool new things to make a better rear shock than their prior offerings?

Did that stuff trickle to the deluxe or was it just the piggy back super deluxe with the hydraulic bottom out and stuff?

The Deluxe Ultimate now essentially has the piggyback built in, is the way I’ve seen it explained. Something about the fluid not being able to move back in the circuit during hard hits. Wait don’t read my jibberish, here’s a short video:

Anyway just wondering if it’s worth trying or just waiting for a fancy looking Fox to pop up on pinkbike, which seems to happen every few days.

I’d actually love to know more about how suspension does its thing with the various circuits. Is there any good reading about it online?

That video is 3 years ago. I like RockShox stuff overall, especially forks. Contemplating putting a super deluxe coil on the enduro, as they are speccing them on the 2023s. Maybe match with a Zeb even if I don’t feel like the 38mm is necessary for my riding.

You can drown in the info from the vorsprung youtube page. All I know is that guy things trunnion mounts are dumb.

Super deluxe coil on my meta is legit, bottomless and sticky like a coil should be, works well with lyric
Better than any fox stuff I have ridden
My bros dvo D1 x Jade x is close

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean like new new. My RS experience with rear shocks is even less recent.

I’ve been rockshox dubious for rear shock since the dpx2 I got to replace the above shock is worlds better, but it is also a price point up so maybe that’s it.

I can’t fit a piggyback or anything on this short travel frame so my options are quite limited but also maybe it doesn’t matter that much for the same reason.

So UC is blowing out Fox stepcast forks with 51mm offset for like $600. I’m looking at the mm difference and I’m looking at the $400 price difference to 44mm and I’m like: “why not?”

I could angleset the headtube a bit to make up for that offset difference if I wanted to, couldn’t I?

1 Like

I think you will like the higher offset better anyway, it will help it be a true “downcountry” bike instead of the “short travel enduro bike” that you feared

the trend for short offset is goofy and every single marketing explanation I’ve seen has layers of patent nonsense in it like “shorter front center” and “axle in line with the handlebars”

the only value of shorter offset suspension forks is if you want your mechanical trail to be even higher but your stanchions are already starting to bind from your <65° HTA

4 Likes

I like this idea. I think that you are right. Building something that would be more turnable in low speed corners would be really beneficial on the old-skool east coast trails that I avoid on my Sentinel around here. For camping trips I do want to hang a bag off the front, so I am thinking that this would be another reason to get a 51mm? And anyway, in the end we’re talking about something that is largely going to be imperceptible.

Are there any downsides to be aware of that I’m not considering?

only downside I can think of is resale value if the trenduro hype keeps building, but you’re getting it cheaper right now by taking advantage of that

(though keep in mind that I’m a kook who hoarded a 60mm offset Lefty Olaf fork that takes its own wider hub standard for a future custom bikepacking frame)

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s not a concern. I’m building this thing in order to do some experimentation. Could always get a 44mm CSU if I change my mind.

1 Like

It’s not gonna affect resale except to nerds like us. If you don’t mention it, I doubt any actual potential buyer will ask.

1 Like

do all frames with a 55-56mm chainline drop chains on shimano 12speed (talking about in the lower gears 52,45 and 38)? My 52mm chainline hardtail with Shimano 11 Speed backpedals perfect in 32T 46T which I find handy for ratcheting up techy stuff

Many do. The boost chainline standard is a compromise that has its roots in plus tires. If your frame can clear a non-boost or 6mm offset ring this absolutely works better than a 3mm offset ring. Some bike and component companies are starting to echo what a lot of shops and riders are finding with this.

As long as we can test fit it to confirm clearance, we almost always recommend a 6mm offset ring on all boost bikes.