All things NuMTB thread, now lower longer and slacker

Shimano decided to push the “boost” chainline out another 3mm on 12 speed and the OEMs just went with it.

If they really needed the extra chainline they could have gone Superboost in the back, but they didn’t.

I took the Marino on a shakedown ride on some fairly pedestrian trails. Overall, it jumps and climbs well. The roots and rocks were a little slick, but I only had to dab on one steep climb.

I’m not really fit right now, so I’m sure I didn’t push it very hard. I also didn’t blow through the travel. Like all winter rides I do, I forget at least one thing. This time it was the shock pump.

Bad shot of the lentils sticker

13 Likes

What pedals are you all riding these days? I like the Bontrager Line Pro on my big heavy bike, but want something a little thinner/lighter (but probably still metal) on new bike.

FEIW all the knuckledraggers in the shop back Deity Tmac or Deftrap.

Get concave pedals like tmac

I have these coz local

bro you think my pedals aren’t concave? how dare you!

Those oz pedals look dope. I might buy them since the exchange rate is good.

the prices of flat pedals are eyewatering these days, good grief. I think I’m gonna buy whatever I find on sale. I’m curious how the really thin shits like the One-up and Crank Brothers feel compared to the Bontys, which I honestly only won’t sing the praises of because they’re the most expensive flat pedal I’ve tried. But they have good bearings, good pins, a good platform, lower end of the price spectrum at this point, and if something were to happen to them there’s probably a store within 15-30 minutes that would replace them for me on the spot no matter where I’m riding.

sup likes her deity black kat pedals. She doesn’t seem too particular, though, so long as she has her five ten shoes to grip onto thing. I just got some of the oneup composite jawns so she may try those next weekend at windrock.
She is particular about XT brakes and RockShox forx. I do agree that pedal prices do seem a bit wacky, then then XTR Trail pedals are probably same as the TMAC pedals.

1 Like

one up is convex so avoid those. Another vote for Deity, I’m on the bladerunners and they’re awesome.

1 Like

I’ve got the Black Kats for when I use flats on the enduro bike. All the other bikes are using the OneUp composites.

Mine have a bent spindle from a case of rock strike, but they work for the odd snow ride.

1 Like

The OneUps look nice and the slightly convex shape doesnt seem that bad. God forbid we think some flat riders are a bit too precious in thinking their foot bends in the a different direction than it does. Also, the shoes probably conform enough if they are good enough.

I was on the black kats for a bit until I took the demo e-bike and haven’t gone back tot he Banshee in a bit. Such a weird not cold winter (please don’t make March terrible now that I said it). I just know that gen 1 spec 2FO shoes vs the current model means shoes are a huge difference. She tried some Giro shoes, I think, coz cute colors, but they were terrible. I am a clippy boi 99% of the time, and have the the green 2FO shoes for flat/dj rides. Will def bring them for races this year, like the hella muddy TTC race. Hoping that one is better next month than when we had in feb last year. Regardless, we have at least been on bikes since Jan 1. Last year trails were fully snowed/iced in, so no riding from when we returned from Bentonville on New years and the first DH race.

I’ve had the metal One Ups for a while. No complaints

I have the one ups and they were great except one started clicking and doing this weird thing where it felt like the spindle was moving relative to the bearings and i just like gave up on trying to figure out how to service them (there’s a kit but its expensive).
Anyway what i really want to know is what thin flat pedal actually lasts more than 2-3k miles? Seriously, every one I’ve tried needs service after a year. Have yet to have a clippy pedal go bad. Only fancy flat pedals.

1 Like

I’m still using clippy pedals I’ve had for 15 years so I agree

4 Likes

Might be the hardest-working components on the bike tbh.

Also, probably because they’re all boutique pedals and not like Shimano.

I imagine some xt flats would probably fix my problem, but they don’t come in cool ano colors :confused:

1 Like

Damn the newest XT and Saint actually look pretty good! Hadn’t seen these yet despite them being announced like 2 years ago.

I have these to offload.

PD-M8140ML. Medium/Large size way.

2 Likes

after reading about 200+ droppers posts, I’m really looking at getting the poseidon norton when it comes out, it’s basically the marin san quinton, but made by a cheaper brand. Current bike is limited to 170 because of a curved seat tube. Grew up on bmx race bikes so I’ll take as low of a seat as possible.

2 Likes

These friendly weirdos popped into work the other day. So glad they shoved the camera into young Michael’s face and not mine.

1 Like

How much you want for em?

1 Like