Badass bike parts picture thread

I’ve actually had people say things like “cool bike but you gotta go 1x” to me.

Mind boggling.

^^^^^^

Thanks Blakey!

Currently debating with myself if I want to go 1x on my Stoemper. Very seriously cannot decide. I’d pull the White cranks off my wolverine and try to do a mostly MUSA build on the Stoemper but those cranks will look like dogshit on the super modern/racey stoemper.

I’m a 1x lifer. Been running 1x on most of my offroad bikes since long before the industry supported it beyond DH racing, over 15 years now.

1x sucks on drop bar bikes.

[quote=Face]I’m a 1x lifer. Been running 1x on most of my offroad bikes since long before the industry supported it beyond DH racing, over 15 years now.

1x sucks on drop bar bikes.[/quote]

Yeah pretty much. 1x on dirt bikes for like 8 years now and won’t go back, but thinking about that Easton crank to un-1x-ify my gravel bike.

with the new ultegra rx rd, I’ve been considering 1x for the cx bike. but i would be hard pressed to choose a front ring. I never really race in my 36t, outside of warmup laps. I also like the small jumps, but feel with a 40t or thereabouts, I could get by. however, I probably won’t switch until shimano releases a left lever with no shifter.

I’ve seen 1x as a great solution for MTBs, Commuters (no stupid cross chaining for dummies who can’t shift), cross (because you’re not going that fast anyways), and singlespeeds. Road-ish bikes are much better with a full transmission.

I bought an MTB that still has a triple a few weeks ago and… I don’t mind?

1x yeah idgi. Seems like SRAM or whoever couldn’t figure out how to do front shifting like Shimano can so they put all their chips on it and here we are.

It definitely has its uses but I’m not quite sure what they are since it ain’t for me. Maybe cross where you can swap the rings around to get the right ratios for a specific course?

[quote=lukasz]I bought an MTB that still has a triple a few weeks ago and… I don’t mind?

1x yeah idgi. Seems like SRAM or whoever couldn’t figure out how to do front shifting like Shimano can so they put all their chips on it and here we are.

It definitely has its uses but I’m not quite sure what they are since it ain’t for me. Maybe cross where you can swap the rings around to get the right ratios for a specific course?[/quote]

mtb I was already shifting the cassette 2-3 gears at a time, so the larger gaps are pretty appealing. Also had kinda shit shifting performance what with the rear suspension doing its thing. I could see a shimano double on a hardtail (the xtr double i had shifted really well), but all the fun bikes nowadays can’t clear a front derailleur coz steep seat tube/short chainstay/bigger tire collabo means somethings gotta give.

Oh yeah I forgot about that whole full suss thing. Isn’t that more problematic for rear derailleur shifting than front tho? I guess with a lot of FS designs there kind of isn’t room for a front derailleur.

I went from 46/36 2x to 38 1x on my cross/commuter bikes, definitely made it worse.

For CX I am keen to give it a crack, but for FS I think its just laziness from a design point of view.

I did it on a cross bike, was fine in the PDX mud, made shifting less sketchy in actual cross racing. Don’t get me wrong, I like doubles and I think they’re great for 80% of bikes out there.

It’s about much more than room

front shifting is most problematic for FS because having the chain forces originate from multiple vectors requires compromising the performance of at least one of them

simplifying that to the small height differences of 28/30/32 and not dynamically changing that means the pivots and leverage curves can be oriented at one area, and shock tunes / flipchips can dial it in exactly

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I’m definitely one to compromise shifting first when thinking about bike stuff. Also almost completely clueless about suspension. Which reminds me of a question I’ve been meaning to ask the MTBros here.

I am not anti-1x, and in fact have not had a mountain bike with front shifting in over a decade. I just laugh because every Reddit dipshit comes in the shop and wants to ‘upgrade’ their 105 Diamondback to 1x because of some shit they saw on the internet. Taking a road bike with a great 50/34 drivetrain and stripping half of the gearing off for no particular reason is the mass hysteria to which I was referring.

I built up my geared CX bike with 1x when I first got it, switched back to 2x for gravel and never saw any reason to switch back. It probably matters that I gave up on geared CX shortly thereafter anyway. I think I raced on the double a few times and didn’t have much trouble, but gears don’t make me better at CX.

MTB and fatbike I built as 1x and have never been tempted to change.

best when they switch from full hydro to mechanical too

I haven’t seen anyone go that direction, yet. I have built a few Crust bikes for Amazon normies, and every one of them has put some variant of bar end shifter and colored Paul brake on their bike, even though they could have put RS685 on there for less money.