Badass bike parts picture thread

im gonna put aside the way too serious examination of ethics regarding weed colors aside here and ask if the team people don’t like the colors cuz they’re sticks in the mud or because they think it is cultural appropriation.

I’m thinking it is the former and in that case… lol

[quote=lukasz]im gonna put aside the way too serious examination of ethics regarding weed colors aside here and ask if the team people don’t like the colors cuz they’re sticks in the mud or because they think it is cultural appropriation.

I’m thinking it is the former and in that case… lol[/quote]

I mean, wasn’t it someone on the team who raised the question? Kinda seems like you might be at least halfway wrong there

i think we can agree that all of you are very, very racist.

^^^
lol

[quote=iwillbe][quote=lukasz]im gonna put aside the way too serious examination of ethics regarding weed colors aside here and ask if the team people don’t like the colors cuz they’re sticks in the mud or because they think it is cultural appropriation.

I’m thinking it is the former and in that case… lol[/quote]

I mean, wasn’t it someone on the team who raised the question? Kinda seems like you might be at least halfway wrong there[/quote]

yeah that’s how it was presented but I wonder if that is really the case or if some people just don’t want to be associated with the wacky weed. I guess it is a bad idea to wear the colors if you don’t believe in some of the fundamental tenets. Hard for me to imagine because I don’t know many such squares.

seriously, the defining trait of educated white USians between 15-40 seems to be ‘chronically offended at things that don’t actually target them’

Kinda fucked up they didn’t want to be associated with Rastafarianism and African color themes.
But I guess it’s okay to develop your own cultural identity sometimes?
As long as you’re participating in a sport that reveres the country that was responsible for the biggest colonial despoiling of Africa?

[quote=Blakey]Won’t suit everyone’s day ruiner, but easton cinch cranks now have a spiderless 47/32 or 46/30 option. Given the cost of the EC90 cranks and whatever the rings end up at I’ll stick with my Suginos and Ritchey’s until some EA70s arrive perhaps.

https://www.eastoncycling.com/media/Easton_GravelCombos_WhitePaper.pdf <-- some “math” to sell groaders on 2x11 being the new hotness to replace 1x11.[/quote]

now that is a mean looking crank. frig yeah

[quote=Gary Fissure]Kinda fucked up they didn’t want to be associated with Rastafarianism and African color themes.
But I guess it’s okay to develop your own cultural identity sometimes?

[/quote]
It is Wisconsin, they probably have never seen a black person.

Definitely waiting for those EC90s to show up used or trickle down to an EA level.

[quote=Todd][quote=b-roll][quote=NOVELTYNAME][quote=b-roll]I have a Campeon and a La Raza, although the La Raza is just an unpainted frame waiting for inspiration.
I bought retro Salsa MTB decals for it but haven’t had urge to paint.[/quote]

RASTA
[color=#f00]RASTA[/color]
[color=#ff0]RASTA[/color]
[color=#3f0]RASTA[/color]
RASTA
Img leaf /img legalize it img leaf /img[/quote]

The local shop our team comes out of has a total Rasta color scheme, and our kits have had some pretty cool looking Rasta combo armbands, etc for a while. Apparently some of our members have become concerned about cultural appropriation and moved to remove the combo from our kit. I tried everything I could to design a kit with the same colors that didn’t strike that chord but never got something that both the shop owner and the club could agree on. Our kits are still OK but basically black white and red, mucho pop lost. This response seems a little over the top, but it’s kind of killed some of the fun of Rasta color schemes for me.

:colbert:[/quote]

Knowing Mark I can imagine him coming up with an appropriation argument to ditch the colorway, not really b/c he bought the argument, but because it was easier than telling the Rev dudes that it is hella tacky. Also, red, black, white, is suitably old man enough (also Rutgers) for him to push …

Also this is all assuming I have your location, and rasta shop cross team correct.[/quote]

Yikes–that stirred things up. I think the shop owner has very genuine reasons to use that color scheme (beyond liking to smoke), more about his interpretation Rasta associations such as general love, goodwill and peace. I’m not supporting those as a very scholarly interpretation, I’m just saying he’s a solid dude and runs a fine shop so I got no beef.

Anyhoo, Todd you have the location right. Mark has kind of bent over backwards for this club and I’ve personally chosen to take any design choices at face value and move on. I’ve done a good bit of graphic design (posters, etc) and worked on kit design as well, but I’m leaving town soon and trying to let go of trying to have any creative influence. As of now I just throw in my own wacky ideas now and then and let it go where it will.

You know MamaBear from Rutgers? What color is the boathouse at Hereford?

I didnt know him at Rutgers, I lived 5 blocks from him in Atwood in 2013 and rode a lot of bikes and watched bike races with him, mostly asked him over and over why he was wearing a radioshack kit.

I bought a surly from Rev and love those dudes, but I never stayed for a cross season.

Rev team has become a nice center for good mannered tomfoolery in the CX scene. We’ve put on the state champs race the last couple of years and built a decent reputation in a short time.

new lightweight 2-bolt road shoe looks pretty fucking great, but not out for 6 months

Last thing I want to do is add laces to my life.

I love my laceup bike shoes.

Yup. I think this came up recently on here, but I don’t see the value of a road shoe closure you can’t adjust on the fly, while pedaling. Everything about my road setup is designed to let me keep riding, everthing about my commuter setup is designed to let me bumble around in whatever clothes I rolled into that morning, stopping frequently to buy sparkling water or help my kid pick flowers.

laces on cycling shoes: never again

Someone photoshop this guy coming to a dead stop after his shoe laces get untied and loop around the crank then he falls sideways into the creek

Don’t need to. He probably did a 0 mph fall-over after spinning out on the other side of the bank.

Would speed laces/lock laces cancel out the on-trend hipness of said laces?

Bought 3 pairs of those exact bungee cord laces for my cycling shoes. Overall pretty underwhelmed, they didn’t meet my high expectations. Sure, they don’t get untied but with that benefit they have a bunch of other compromises.

They seem to be more effective if the holes on the shoe are far apart IME. If your shoes look like the top of the football they are a pain to deal with.

My shoes always feel too tight but simultaneously have too much give that allowed my foot to move around. Feels significantly different than static laces and worse in some cases.

The squeeze toggle that is supposed to prevent loosening doesn’t work for shit. Surprised they didn’t they design some texture in the hole to prevent the lace from slipping through.

The only shoe that they sorta work on is my clipless Giro boots but still not super great. It’s hard to loosen these up after a ride.