Badass bikes that aren't yours

When I was down at Backalley Bikes the mechanics and I also noticed a similar move with shimano hydro hose fittings, you need to buy the hose to get the fitting since its not sold separately. I wonder if this is a move to try and cut out any non-shimano aftermarket cable housing & hydro hoses?

I’m not sure I get what you’re saying. The Shimano BH90 hose fittings are always in stock and they’re super cheap.

You’re definitely right about the cables and housing - they’re trying to push everyone to their slick cables and complete kit, which do happen to work really well. A lot of bikes manufacturers aren’t even shipping slick cables on the FD anymore, which is kind of hilarious and has to violate some dealer agreement with Shimano. Regardless, it’s really easy to work around and other companies like Jagwire have competing products which to the job excellently.

However, for the Shadow rear derailleurs, it’s just a necessity. The old style of cable and housing is just going to be too stiff to work with the derailleur position.

Sorry, should have specified. I mean the shimano banjo fittings.

Do you think I will have issues with my new Shimano RX800 & the Jagwire housing I used? It’s a full length housing from shake to dangler.

No, full length housing like the kind that comes on our NFEs shouldn’t be a problem at all. Honestly, you will know right away if it doesn’t work, and it’s mainly a problem on modern carbon bikes with internal routing and a very short path from the exit of the cable from the frame to the derailleur, like this.

2 Likes

This stuff?

I fucking hate the slick cable. It starts fraying upon installation, so optimum performance is never experienced. I’ll take plain old cable any day. Never had a problem with it.

There’s also polished and super-polished cable without the coating. Those are real nice

2 Likes

I prefer die-drawn cables over coated ones. Nothing to flake off, etc. The stainless steel ones are very nice, but even the die-drawn galvanized jawns are a big improvement over generic cables.

1 Like

That’s some hard commitment to the clown vomit aesthetic.

1 Like

I’ve been holding off on buying that fabric for so long. I know two bag makers who have already used it quite well. I might have to do it for the stoemper, it will match the color pattern.

Kind of want a rando bag of that

I am a fan of them for a few uses, especially when you’re dealing with 7900/6700/5700 shifters with the terrible lever feel. I might feel the same way if I used a fancy Jagwire cable, but I don’t stock those and haven’t tried it yet, so I don’t know.

I had used a pair of the Dura Ace cables for a long time on my Elephant, and I when I recabled it and used actual Campy cables with free generic Jagwire housing, and I couldn’t believe how much better it was; so for me personally, I am done with coated cables.

Do you run Campy?

I’ve seem a discernible difference running Campy cables (better in Campy shifters, worse in Shimano).

I don’t fuck with the coated Shimano cables but I do stock the Optislik ones in bulk. We use those on every Shimano shifter with covered shift housing. Seems to be just as effective as the coated ones and no mess.

Also, has anyone else seem Campy 11 shifters start to pull the Shimano cable destruction trick?

I haven’t personally experienced this, but I’ve probably seen it ~5 times in ten years. Anecdotally, I’d say it falls in the “shit happens” category of failures, rather than massive design flaw that has been ignored for decades.

I’ve seen twice on two sets of Chorus 11 shifters in the last year. Extra weird because same customer, two different bikes.

Or maybe not that weird… shit does happen (not to Sram though, at least not in this way).

I had to buy some. 3 yards.

4 Likes

Yea, that fabric is fucking awesome

1 Like

Do you already have plans for those?

Would you make me a sickass little saddlebag or whatever the on-trend version of that is now? (tactical tool roll?)

I would like a something too