bay area tarck

Call Sports Basement in Crissy Fields, they rent out Felt road bikes and have pretty much direct access to Marin Headlands.

Thanks, will check that out.

Thursday night jmp anyone?

Hey bay area tackers, I’m coming back at the end of the month. I’m moving in with my folks in San Francisco for the first month or so after my triumphant(ish) return, but starting around mid-November to mid-December, I’m looking to move into a place with Edna, probably in the East Bay, because $$$. Like most people from San Francisco, I don’t know jack shit about the East Bay. Nothing personal, I just grew up in a 7x7 square that I never left. So now I need to get up to speed.

Looking on craigslist, Oakland really isn’t as cheap as I’d been led to believe, especially within my requirements (dog-friendly, walking/riding distance to BART, someplace Edna can feel safe walking around at night, at least semi-functional kitchen).

Alameda seems to have a disproportionately high number of places that meet all of these requirements and are within our budget. It seems a little boring, but it also seems like I could ride my bike to Fruitvale BART in about ten minutes (which I’ll need to get to work) and there’s a ferry directly to downtown SF, which might be convenient for Edna, since she’ll be taking classes there. I’ve never been, though, so I have no idea what it’s like. Does it suck? Why is it so cheap (for what you get)?

Been looking in the general vicinity of Rockridge and MacArthur BART, but I’m sort of winging it here. Where do Oakland Tarckers live and do you like it? Where would you like to live if you could? Do you know of a rad place?

Also, I know this clearly belongs in OT, but we already have a Bay Area thread here, so fuck it.

Alameda is nice. It’s pleasant, safe, bike friendly, kinda feels like suburbia. The only reason that I can think of why it might be cheaper than Oakland for small rentals, which I assume is what you’re looking for, is because all the cool kids want to live in Oakland. For single-family homes, prices are actually a fair bit higher. Not sure if it matters, but Alameda is very Asian-friendly.

If you’re on the SE side of the Island, near the Fruitvale BART, I suspect you’ll love it. It’s a pretty nice neighborhood. The other side of the island isn’t quite as nice and it’s tougher to bike from. The Webster tube sucks.

Park Avenue around Santa Clara has all the cool restaurants, coffee shops, bars, etc. It’s totally legit.

The area around MacArthur BART is definitely sketchier, though it’s closer to the Temescal area, which is hipster central. All the cool places are on Telegraph between 40th and 50th. Rockridge is definitely safer. It’s also full of self-entitled white people.

I live in West Oakland. Don’t move here. I like it but it’s definitely not safe. There’s tons of open drug use and crime. I step over needles in the street on the way to the corner store.

Alameda is cool, I’ve thought about moving there. It’s kinda suburbia but that’s looking more attractive after a decade living in the cut.

Temescal is also very cool. It’s super hip right now because it’s close enough to shitty neighborhoods to still be considered cool. In my opinion the prices are not worth it. You’re still getting crappy living conditions with jacked rent because there’s a hip bakery or barbershop in the neighborhood. Also there’s no escaping the constant nag, worry, and conversation surrounding gentrification. Oakland proper is a very weird place to live right now.

this. The general population of Marin is absolutely awful, and there aren’t enough decent people to make up for it, and won’t ever be in the foreseeable future.

Peninsula living is best living. I’m no more than 30’ from 3 pretty amazing mountain bike spots, I haven’t been stabbed, and my rent isn’t too bad.

But you’re on the Peninsula, so there’s that.

Yeah, there is that.

East bay suburbs aint horrible either. But neither is spending your whole life in a medically induced coma, I guess. There’s some good riding/hiking/food/etc. out here and even better stuff about an hour away.

Peninsula? Yeah, no. 680 corridor? Nope.

I like the peninsula :frowning:

I’ve really liked Redwood City and now San Mateo. Some good dirt and loads of awesome low traffic road riding. Best road riding in the Bay Area, ATMO. Decent food selection. Night life is a little weak. CalTrain. Awesome weather. Nice enough people.

Rent is messed up but the job market is awesome (for some professions).

I think it’s safe to say that we have different tastes.

Wrong.

[quote=dema]I’ve really liked Redwood City and now San Mateo. Some good dirt and loads of awesome low traffic road riding. Best road riding in the Bay Area, ATMO. Decent food selection. Night life is a little weak. CalTrain. Awesome weather. Nice enough people.

Rent is messed up but the job market is awesome (for some professions).[/quote]

'sup dema. I’m living in San Mateo as well. Wanna be bike bros? I promise IRL I’m a lot less tarck and a lot more normal.

Wrong.[/quote]

Depends on what you like, really. There’s good riding on the peninsula and all over the rest of the bay area.

I’m pretty into Concord for a good mix of burritos, sandy hardpack, and meth