bay area tarck

Strava stocked stalked Dema…followed one of his routes. Things went better than expected.

*edit: fuck you poogens.

is strava stock more similar to beef or chicken stock?

yeah, it’s taint sweat based.

LMK if you want to ride bicycles the weekend of the 1st/2nd. Road or mountain.

Going to be in Bend, OR this weekend. Hopefully not getting rained out.

I may be down for a ride on the 2nd, pending not too much Halloween.

Oakland night time mtb tomorrow (Thursday) ??

I realize this isn’t near the bay but learn me cycling conditions near Fresno and Monterey. I’m looking at a position that would split my time between two smaller towns near the aforementioned places. I take it stuff on the coast is beautiful but inland, how’s the road riding in that area? Do the state parks have mtb trails/any gnar opportunities?

Fresno is a butthole but Monterey is phenomenal. Fort Ord down there is decent for MTB but you’ll end up driving to Santa Cruz for gnargnar every weekend (this is not a bad thing).

Yeah, Fresno is the worst place I’ve ever been, but coastal central CA is really beautiful, once you get away from the people.

Thanks guys. The specific inland area is Visalia/Tulare if that makes a difference.

Misogynisticus is from Fresno, he should know some dos/don’ts about the area.

Monterey is pretty splendid. I am a big fan on the Ft Ord public land trails, though not as gnar as SC as mentioned above but pretty solid xc duty. Would love to come back with my hardtail and rip the Sea Otter course sometime; did it on the endpoint over Sea Otter and had tons of fun. I think Monterey is pretty much perfect bike ride weather; cool in the mornings with fog burning off to 60-70 in the day. Some incredible routes, generally good road conditions, and easy access to other amazing coastal areas.

All this sub-zero weather has me stoked on being home for 10 days over xmas. Bringing my road bike with the goal of doing some seriously big/rad rides to try and make up for 3-4 more months of no outdoor road riding here. Thinking a Tam ride, a Napa ride, a Santa Rosa/Bodega ride (love me some King Ridge/Kruse Ranch/Ft Ross/etc. Probably my favorite riding anywhere), and certainly a Diablo stop or two (it’s a sub 3hr ride from my door) in addition to the 1-3hr Berkeley hills parties. Curious to see the tradeoff of no fitness vs acclimation to life at 5k feet.

I have the following choices for bay area hospitals:

salinas, fresno, chino, fairfield, kaiser napa, santa rosa (very few slots though) stockton

So far leaning to kaiser napa and staying in oakland or fairfield and just sucking up the commute or getting a VSTROM1000 and lane splitting like I used to ride up to vallejo.

Those don’t sound like Bay Area to me?

If you’re trying to maximize riding opportunities, I’d say order is Santa Rosa > Napa > Salinas > Fairfield for road, Salinas > Santa Rosa > Napa/Fairfield > others for mtb. Though probably best to maximize hospital opportunities/other critical quality of life attributes subject to being able to enjoy the riding.

Are you highly motivated to stay in Oakland/Fairfield area or would you be open to moving somewhere closer to the other hospitals? If I had reason to work in Santa Rosa, Napa, or Salinas, I would be super into moving there.

I guess the good news is you’ve got some pretty incredible options in front of you, sounds like things are working out well Milin! Do you have complete choice in this or is there some random draw thing here?

I’m from Fresno-- some pretty spectacular climbing and riding but it’s 30’ out of town north and east. Wildcat has a pretty reasonable route (check out the pine-flat road race course). Also, tons of great riding through Friant to up to Tollhouse (one of the few “fun” HC climbs in California). That said, the cars suck. People out there hate cyclists. The weather sucks. It’s unbearably hot or unbearably cold.

ATMO, Fresno’s pretty okay. If you make reasonable money you can own a McMansion for Tenderloin prices. Shoot me a PM if you want to chat about the hospital systems in Fresno. I’ve worked both for Kaiser and CRMC.

*edit: I got cat and you mixed up.

Fresno has MTB trails 60’ out of the way. San Joaquin River Trail is pretty okay, not enough elevation change though. Trail is long enough for 10 hour days if you’d like. 007 is pretty legit for DH / Freeride but it’s an hour a way up near Bass Lake. China Peak is the second best lifted park in CA. Again, an hour and a half away.

Try for Santa Rosa then Napa. The riding is by far the best and it has good cost of living.

The upside of SR and Napa are that they are both kaiser. Riding will be my sole source of sanity.

It’s only for a year, then I dunno where I go (Probably vanlife traveling doctor thing)

Just talked to a friend in Santa Rosa. He lives next to Annadel. Into this. Especially since I’ll finally only be working 40 a week max. I’m eager for not having to put in 80+ with books/library+lectures. I just slept for 14 hours last night.
Might try and ride some bikes tomorrow…
I have a road bike now.

SR or Napa.

SR got filled. Kaiser Napa it is!
(Second choice is fairfield, third choice is travel for the year)
almost everyone gets their number one.
I’m gonna do peds in Tulsa and at UCSF for the second round, Emergency the following year at USC in LA, and radiology extra rotation at solano in vallejo.

Also gonna do a sports med rotation here, but if anyone knows a teaching hospital near boulder, that’s the big place to be…

(I’m not being indecisive, I actually have to pass a shelf exam in every specialty before I choose the one I want to sub-specialize in.)

YEAH LIFE!

Would someone in this wunderland be willing to procure this Rawland frameset and ship it to me?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4919382212.html
I can ply with you goods from this part of the country: beers, whiskies, scrapple. Or something else.