Bike blerg thread

You could live in downtown Austin and have a pretty fulfilling life without a car I think. Lots of trails and bars and grocery stores and whatever. You just couldn’t get outside downtown without a car shartmo

I lived here without a car until I was 32. It’s pretty easy. There’s no need to go out to the suburbs for anything anyway.

1 Like

Is there some sort of missing link about Pegoretti popularity? I read what I found online and get it but it seems like an obsession with little substance.

The bikes are ugly and very expensive. Which, as I type, suppose could be the justification because lots of Veblen style goods are exactly like this.

“Why yes, I am a gastroenterologist. How did you know?”

6 Likes

The answer to this is the same as many questions - “stop reading paceline” :colbert:

6 Likes

There is a significant number of boomers who have more money than taste. It helps that Pegoretti sounds Italian, and Italian = nice bikes for boomers. See also Pinarello, Colnago, etc.

1 Like
  • custom frames in a time where that was hard to find
  • hand-painted by an eccentric Italian
  • with racing cred from a time when that mattered
  • for the rest of their lives, people lust after things they wanted when they were younger
11 Likes

I thing OG Pegorettis are genuinely cool, but I wish they stopped putting his name on things after he died

2 Likes

The first time I saw someone drink espresso was in a minidoc about him

Because now it’s all so stale and you feel so very old like you’ve taken all your chances and tossed them all aside for some stupid piece of metal like shiny bits of trash that line the stolen nest of a greedy neighborhood crow

5 Likes

Yeah makes sense. The namesake being alive and active producing bikes and content is probably a much better base than seeing Clean39t buying and selling t-rex Pergorettis over and over again while waxing about how awesome and storied the brand is.

4 Likes

who wants to link to Heine’s review of a Pegoretti?

5 Likes

sachs at greater scale

1 Like

The old-school racing heritage is very cool, but the extendo-clip headtubes and precious Basquiat paintjobs are pretty uninspiring.

Flirting with self-styled artists (see e-richie) makes it so much more than consumption of a luxury good!

2 Likes

I think there’s a big gap between how new & exciting something was in 1990, and how new & exciting that same thing is today.

Preciousness is more in the hands of the customer. If I had one I’d love it & beat the hell out of it. Obviously dentists have different opinions.

1 Like

been kinda wondering if whoever is still selling the Bruce Gordon R’n’R tires is going to pull this move

why would they

Versace is dead but the brand lives on

3 Likes

Pegoretti, Landshark, and Bruce Gordon are what the community kinda defined as TAF.

#YOLO

4 Likes

Met this guy
Nice dude

This so much