Bike Storage

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]

Although… having similar bikes with slight differences in geometry has led to some geometry & tubing specific insights I’d only previously read about on the internet but could now experience IRL by riding the bikes back to back.[/quote]

So, if you had to keep only one, based on geometry and tubing, what would it be?

It would probably be the Elephant since it can do loaded touring, wear fatter tires and still be used on longer rando rides.
Original thinking was:

• Elephant NFE: paved or offroad touring & not quite mountain biking off-road riding
  • Rawland Stag: Faster Rando bike, lighter tubing
  • Trek 720: DGAF platform pedal commuting and bar bike that can be left locked outside without worry
  • Cycletruck: Grocery getter & the thing that could replace my car when it dies, intend to make it into electric bike.
  • Rodriguez coupled tourer: Need to sell, was originally THE ultra touring bike for air travel until I realized that the Elephant can do its job + more. Also realized (after it was made) that coupled touring bikes with standard racks can’t fit in a 26x26x10 travel case (oops)
  • GT Course skinny tire steel race bike: Not as fun & comfortable to ride as the Stag and I don’t really go on many roadie rides so pointless in my fleet.
  • Vintage Mercian: Pretty lugged bike that I tried to turn into a touring bike before I understood anything about bikes. Need to sell to a collector or someone that will give it love.

Can we make this about dreamfleets? Mine:

1. Nordavinden: Commuting, general road riding
  2. Elephant NFE: Touring, anything else that needs fat tires but isn’t expressly mountain biking
  3. Tandem: for riding with wife and, in a bit, with kid
  4. Massive e-assisted Family Bike for my wife and kid and groceries, and for me to get inappropriately rad on

current fleet is 1 and 3

Yeah, Andrew, sounds like you can cut the last two no problem.
I contemplate selling my road bike now since I do most road riding with the Endpoint and schwalbe one wheelset. Plus, I’m likely to get a whisky fork for it this week perhaps. Wished I would have confirmed this as I could have grabbed a felt f1x frameset for $550. Could double as geared cx race machine and winter trainer bike in off season.

My storage problem in this house is basement-garage ceiling is too low for standard double decker racks and don’t have clean lines to put hooks up. But we are doing well with my 7 bikes and her 5.

I have my dream fleet.

1. Snowaguchi, steel cross bike built with my own two hands.
  2. Niner RIP9, full squish gnar crusher that handles anything I can throw at it.
  3. Salsa Vaya Travel, stainless steel disc brake road + off-road touring bike that fits into a suitcase.
  4. Niner EMD9, rigid aluminum 29er with carbon fork, the ridiculously light commuter / off road bikepacker rig.
  5. 9:zero:7, rigid aluminum fat bike, for snow and who knows what the fuck else. Will get a squish fork and carbon wheels next year.

jelly of your storage set up. i tried putting hooks in the wall of my living room, but could not find studs, and just the weight of my road bike (20 lb) pulled the strongest anchor i had out of the plaster.

(also impressed by the rusty stack on the rodriguez)

Andrew, that Stag looks hella sw8.

I have the same problem of way too many steel bikes. I gotta sell some stuff soon.

[quote=akasnowmaaan]
3) Salsa Vaya Travel, stainless steel disc brake road + off-road touring bike that fits into a suitcase.[/quote]

Can you post this? I don’t remember seeing it.

How does it ride unloaded?

I shouldn’t even think about getting something like that, but my interest is piqued.

It’s a good ride, fits the whole Salsa ‘gravel grinder’ thing right now. Fits big tires and fenders.

72 square, long chain stays. Stable. Fun on dirt. I raced 'cross with it in Sweden, and even though I was fat and slow enough to never be a contender, I stayed with the pack for a long time mostly due to being able to keep my speed better than most through the muddy turns, maybe due to MTB handling skills?

It’s only flaw is adding a rear fender requires some shenanigans due to no rear braze-ons, you have to use the upper bolt for the swinging dropouts. Really stupid. It’s even a pain to fit a rear fender. Big oversight. I’m contemplating having someone put on some braze-ons locally, but since I bikepack and use front panniers rather than go fully loaded front and rear it hasn’t been an issue yet.

[quote=akasnowmaaan]
It’s only flaw is adding a rear fender requires some shenanigans due to no rear braze-ons, you have to use the upper bolt for the swinging dropouts.[/quote]
http://salsacycles.com/components/category/alternator_dropouts/alternator_q_r_fender_mount_plates

kaboom

THANK YOU.

I guess I didn’t notice when they got less stupid.

fewest bikes I’ve ever owned, yet I rode the most I ever have in the past 6 months or so

also with the homerbike syndrome

Very nice.

Jebus they make the anatomica in yellow?

naw that’s the triathlete edition

naw that’s the triathlete edition[/quote]

Does it start out white?

“Goldenrod”