cheap cromo cross frames: crosscheck, c'mute or ?????

What downtube shifters do you have? Those look like they were designed to work with DT shifters. If not, Surly is worse at designing bikes than I thought.

the used x-check i was looking at getting only has cable stops.

oh well, that sucks.

c’mute it is then i guess.

it’s an older xcheck, the downtube cable stop looks exactly like the brake cable stop on the toptube in that brown xcheck pic.

this is the one.

unless someone makes a large diameter dt clamp…? all the ones i have seen are pretty small

Fuck that. Get a Cmute or a new Xcheck if you want to use DT shifters. Seems like buying this Xcheck will mean you have deal with clamp on DT shifters and get them set up so they don’t interfere with the cable stops, then you’ll have the PITA of horizontal dropouts. Seems not worth it.

seems like a good deal if you can rock with bar end shifters instead, coz included CK hs. if not then go cmute.

xcheck pro:
-RED!
-includes CK headset

cmute pro:
-cheaper
-can use DTs
-taller headtube
-mid-fork brazeons for rack

p.s. don’t get clamp-on DT shifters. ew no.

i came here to post that clamp on dt shifters are gross and i apologize for even mentioning the idea.

no go on x-check

once monies gets here im getting the c’mute and i will just have to live with 2 red bikes rather than 3.

haha, I liked the idea of a trio of red rockets.

the extended headtube is a nice feature though. Are you getting the mint color?

Oh boy. I ride a Surly Crosscheck 58cm; I find the length good but wish it was taller. The 56cm Pake C’mute has the same ETT but 34mm longer HT! I like the unicrown fork with fender mounts too. Angles are a bit different though, which turns my brain to mush.

Going to have to research the Pake for the rest of the evening. Could transfer all my components and sell the Surly CX frame… would not be an expensive switch.

Spent some time thinking about ditching Surly CX for Pake C’Mute. Quality seems equivalent from what I can tell. Subjectively,

Pro:

• longer HT (primary consideration)
  • integrated rear cable hanger
  • rack mounts on fork
  • nicer looking fork
  • less tire clearance (I don’t need more than 32c + fenders)

Con:

• adds 0.75 pounds

i cant stand unicrown forks, but i cant argue with the price.

and yes, im getting it in mint.

im also thinking of replacing my iro 29er when i get a chance with something aluminum that i can throw a dérailleur on. so that also puts a monkey wrench into my plans for having a trifecta of red bikes… but a friend of mine paint cars and might be painting mine soon so thats always an option…

btw, my car is red.

This is a touring frame and aluminum, but whatevs it’s cheap and new.

http://madison.craigslist.org/bik/1901149193.html

Soma Double-Cross

thanks for the link veeps, but thats 4cm too small.

i’d love doublecross but theyre even harder to come by used in my size and the frame cost as much as the surly frameset. price really is a huge contributing factor here, so unless something changes in a big way im getting the c’mute as soon as i finish selling some parts.

just realized doubecross does not have horizontal dropouts. really want one but to get frame and fork its going to be way out of my budget… might be worth waiting for though.

Very happy with my DBLCX. I bought a 48cm cuz 54 top tube. I like being able to get a top tube long enough for me and still have some ball clearance.

Tall head tube too. I have it built with 20mm’s of spacer and 6cm of saddle to bar drop.

i know that the pake is far cheaper, but the soma double cross is absolutely everything i want in a frame. geometry, braze-ons, correct dropouts and still just within my budget if i stick to a diet of rice and beans for the next month. so, unless someone can convince me otherwise i’m ordering the soma from outsideoutfitters.com on monday.

getting it there because they have the best price on a 60cm with the matching soma fork in the correct color, i’d prefer red, but none of them are and this one is ivory which is fine. they also have the headset (fsa orbit, silver) and brakes (tektro cr720, silver) i want for it cheaper (only a little bit) than ebay.

DBLCXCRW