D2R2 2k-er-18

Using Sinewave, Eric?

No, the Luxos U has a USB port for charging. I just left the light off (daytime riding) and all the hub power went to charging.

Quick Google of Sinewave. Looks like it cost more than my light did and doesn’t have a light. What am I missing? I have to check, but I think the Luxos U has 1amp output as well.

shout outs to all the homies I met and didn’t talk to enough at d2r2. jdsmooth: there was a vicious rumor that you left pretty early but then I saw you much later in the evening and would have tried to rope you in to hanging with us.

Holy shit I’m still spent. Mostly lower back and triceps. Legs are okay. COPD’s under control with Flovent. Just a touch of bronchitis after the ride. Almost no coughing and no choking all though the ride.

There was a few options to bail and I had a hard time moving forward. What kept me going was the thought that I’d have to come back to the 180 next year if I didn’t finish this year. Now I’m thinking I’ll hit it again in two years. I had some good miles leading up to this but needed more time on hills and my weight’s a little high.

Next year I have a date on the 40 mile Green River Tour with a friend who’s turning 60. She wants to prove she can still do something “crazy”.

Good seeing all you kids!

This was a very good year.

I really have to plan to spend more time with you folks. I enjoyed the brief hang.

It was a hoot seeing people in real life. Mystery Ride was badass: strava.com/activities/684460759.
I did go to sleep earlyish, like a sucker. My Canadien fam were gifted a half-bottle whiskey from random Maplebros.

probably my favorite d2r2 yet! had a great time hanging out and meeting lots of new friends, tarckers included. coulda used more time for that too.

ride was great, 160k route is a good one with lots of climbing in the first half and a couple sections of disused jeep track, one going down and the other up. both were a blast to ride, i probably would have liked the mystery route. new lunch spot meant no brutal climb immediately after eating, which was great. 15 miles later the biggest bump comes, 1200’ half paved up a ski hill. finale was awesome - 25 miles of rolling elevation loss on beautiful roads, which was a great way to end the day.

other highlights: getting dropped on descents by chris bishop riding his road bike (which is really nice), hearing a teammate describe watching one of the crust bike bros hike his flip-flop-pedal equipped fat bike barefoot (cause pedals) up one of the rockier parts of the mystery route

They put that whiskey on our table, but then took it back for one final round and we left. Whoops. Before that one of them was regaling us with how his friend does rollout tests for Jan Heine and 30mm tires are the best for everything and I was very happy he was directing these words at someone else in our group. Like, bro, I didn’t go up there to win d2r2 (someone in his group also had a mountain bike with aero bars lol).

Bump! I’m in for the 115k 2017.

is it actually the hardest century in the world?

The 180k is amazing. Bring your low gears and have a lot of dirt road climbing in your legs.

The 115k is a good ride to start with. It rides like a tough century.

I brought 2 other riders with me last year. This year 2 more (I’m a good salesman).

Doing 160 again and talking them into staying the second night. 160 course is noticeably less grueling than 180 because it ends with a decent elevation loss after horribly long climb.

Patton Hill on the 115k is a bit brutal. @Mile 95 on the 180k is another ring of hell.

I’ll be bringing a huge cooler and a picnic table again.

What should I do 180? 160? Mystery?

I want to finally make it down this year.

Mystery is best choice if you’re into slightly chaotic adventure times; mtb trails, some walking and way-finding included. If you want a more refined experience, do the 180.

Might be in for the 115 this year, kinda depends on how much riding I get in between now and then. Between my low fitness and not eating breakfast, last time (2013? has it been that long?) was a disaster. I’m riding more now, but it’s 95% mtb.

probably doing the mystery with a crewe of goofballs but as usual I probably won’t buy my registration until 3 weeks before.