DEALS DEALS DEALS

Not for backpacking? Because the quarterdome sl2 is pretty nice for backpacking and I think it’s.on sale.

2 Likes

i’m gonna plug them again- nemo is not cheap and probably not on sale much. but they’ll take fucking care of you and the product is v well thought out

1 Like

Just something to strap to a motorcycle or throw in a car if I’m camping by myself. I had a Mountainsmith Morrison that was exactly what I wanted but I just gave it away because it was getting kinda old. I’ll look at rei again because I kinda forgot I gave that tent away lol

1 Like

I have a Nemo 3p and like it well enough. Feels very solid.

It’s a little weird in that it only has a one-way zipper that parks way under the vestibule so you have to lean down and reach way under to open the door.

I’m using a kelty for pretty much this same purpose. It’s not fancy but it’s getting the job done. It was pretty cheap and I think it’s pretty easy to get a hefty discount through EV or the like

This is a pic for the gram so it’s a pretty shit picture of the tent but ya get it

1 Like

That REI tent that @Timarchylime suggested looks real nice but I think it’s much too lightweight for what I’m after

Kinda thinking about getting one of these things

Seems kinda extra but it’s heavy as hell so I hope that means it is durable lol

can confirm that the current (and previous) gen quarter dome SL2 is a wonderful back/bikepacking tent, especially if you’re actually splitting it between two people

but a little lightweight and spartan for bashing around/car camping

My concern with that tent would be ventilation. Doesn’t look like you’d be comfortable on a warm night in there.

Have you looked at the REI Halfdome 2+?
I had one for years. Nice to set up and closer to 3p instead of 2p.
https://www.rei.com/product/128692/rei-co-op-half-dome-2-plus-tent-2020

Also, this looks cool as hell!
https://www.rei.com/product/200655/nemo-switch-2p-tent

2 Likes

looking to get a bag liner that I can use by itself for warm weather, opinions on silk/cotton blend vs merino? prefer a way to get my legs out easily whether that’s a rectangle or a mummy with a side opening

okay yeah I don’t know why I didn’t see this on sale before but this seems like the tent to get

Nevermind I probably know. I think I kept checking the “2 person” filter. Tent ordered!

2 Likes

Can I recommend an alternative to a bag liner? Costco sells a lightweight down quilt that weighs less than a pound, packs to the size of a nalgene, and is warm enough to sleep down to ~50-55 (for me at least), and can be thrown on top of a winter quilt/bag for additional warmth. When I bought mine it was like $50 for a pair of the quilts, so split with a friend or keep one as a backup.

1 Like

I actually have one of those!

for summer camping at elevation cheesewife usually uses the down bag as she sleeps cold, and I use that lightweight quilt. it works great but it’s a bit warm for me sometimes, so looking for something that still does the cosy feel and bug protection without adding too much warmth

1 Like

Ah, makes sense. I had a sea to summit bag liner for a bit that definitely added warmth in the winter, but definitely didn’t provide enough weight or warmth for summer camping

1 Like

I too was unimpressed by liners as stand alone

had a S2s warmth one and a s2s silk one

you’re kinda in grab whatever throw/house blanket you already have territory. Dunno if there’s really a good specific product to recc for it

1 Like

It’s weird because I hadn’t seen that tent on their site in a while. They made the SL 2+ version last year and the other one disappeared. Actually seems like maybe someone found a pallot of them in the warehouse recently and they’re blowing them out.

The tent is a steal at that price and if they’d had them last fall I would have bought that instead of the Nemo 3p I ended up getting.

2 Likes

I’ve had a Halfdome for almost 10 years now. I find it to be a little too bulky for backpacking but we used it a ton for canoe camping and car camping. Plenty of room for two people and a dog.

2 Likes

Love the name “Amenity dome”

3 Likes

frick, waited too long on the swift stuff at Sierra and they sold out of stem bags. still grabbed a Zeitgeist to check out as a smaller/lighter option instead of the Fabs Chest for shorter trips

this was absolutely the right decision, I also didn’t realize they still had those

we’ve been using this exact version of this tent to car/canoe camp with two people and a 110lb dog for ~5 years now, and other than a (repairable) pole shock-cord blowout on a cross-country road trip last month it’s had exactly zero issues and is just as waterproof and nice as when we got it

1 Like

:frowning:

1 Like

Some good deals on here on dyno and ebike lights. I got a IQ-XL for 93 bucks with shipping. Normally 150ish. No idea how long shipping will take from euro land though