Did you just ShartQ?

Any idea what the a2c is on this bad dog?

Are there more bike geometry lectures publicly available besides PVD’s? Looking for more information than PLP, with less head-up-ass than bicycle jordan peterson

4 Likes

Also interested in resources on porteur bike geometry

1 Like

It’s a mystery! There seem to be two distinct camps (real slack front end and not) and no real rhyme or reason to it.

Not really a mystery :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Most of the stuff I’ve seen falls into the same geometric-relativism like PLP so as not to offend potential sponsors and interrupt the influencer gravy train.

Cyclingabout has a couple videos but there don’t seem to be any real cranks that get down like PVD without his negatives.

Have you seen the BQ issue about Porteurs? IIRC he has measurements from at least one bike and maybe a comparison? I can scan the article when I go home in a week or so.

Also lol this was near the top of GS results, haven’t seen a tarck result in years.

Here’s the PDF of the article (diff than the porteur issue) mentioned I think: https://www.yojimg.net/bike/kogswell/kogswell_docs/Model_P_R/Kogswell%20PR%20brochure.pdf

3 Likes

I was thinking about cycletrucks, not those

Alex Wetmore did some writeups about cycletruck geometries back when he built a few, some of those are still online site:alexwetmore.org truck - Google Search

2 Likes

Probably more searching than actual reading, but Wetmore and folks used to jaw about geometry on iBob back in the day:
http://yojimg.net/bike/ibob/reader/

wow those old Wetmore blogs are a real throwback.

TravelShartQ:
Folding bike luggage?
I have a 3sp Brompton and an 8sp Bike Friday Tikit and am considering a trip around South Korea on them, but not camping.

I have Revelate buttrockets already for the saddles, and a collection of front/back roller ortliebs.
Any experience with solutions to mount these or other types of bags to the bike for bike path dithering and high speed rail transport stages?

So far:

• The Tikit 1 sided pannier rack is only available used from BF with exorbitant shipping pricing and would take a front roller nicely
  • The Brompton Borough bag or similar could work and would carry off bike nicely.
  • This is a neat and easy solution to convert an existing ortlieb to a Brompton block mount and is ~$50 vs ~$300.

In one of the PVD talks he mentions some motorcycle books, which I’m willing to bet are the sum total of his foundation. If I had the capacity right now that’s what I’d be reading.

The moto book is by Tony Foale and while it’s sort of the only thing out there, it doesn’t really help you bikes and soooo much of it is terribly explained.

On YouTube check out Shieldmaiden bikes- he’s a smart kid who hoovered up what PVD was posting about but I think actually understands the fundamentals better.

PVD slide:

Much of the stuff in print is like this because the people writing it were experienced only so far based on what they had access to. Lots of ill conclusions were reached after a short ride on an unfamiliar, unfit bicycle. Heine blew up more than one classic tome wrt low-trail and very wide tires because the author had never ridden a bike with 30mm trail but spent paragraphs expounding on such characteristics.

Dave Moulton also has a ton of writings that are worth looking into for pavement bikes: Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog

3 Likes

5 Likes

Bicycles and Tricycles is from 1896 or so.
Foale is next, the pdf is allegedly floating around.
I haven’t read Cossalter, Bradley, or the last one yet but just going off of Foale the differences in mass and power output make it hard to apply anything useful other than having a better sense of the handling fundamentals.

1 Like

Not to mention the engine has very noticeable gyroscopic affects.

1 Like

I own some of these books…

Ok… so currently have Shimano 10speed road shifters pulling on a 9 speed Deore dangler… but not taking advantage of the increased wrap because road cassettes only go to 36…

Is there a way for me to get a bigger cassette on their without changing the system?

Would this microshift guy work or is that thing mountain spacing?

It’s possible. I’ve seen a few cases now with newer mid-tier Shimano danglers that the upper pulley will sit too close to the largest cog (even with b-tension maxed) when you go more than 2 teeth beyond Shimano’s rating.

Someone will say “tail hook lengthener” which is worth a shot, but in a few cases now I have seen that there is a in-between zone where the dangler alone does not work, and the tail hook jobber pushes things too far away and upshifting struggles significantly.

So yeah, I guess this is not very helpful.

YMMV.

I should just buy grx cranks for both my endpoints and go from 36 to 30 on the little ring. That would get me into the same range as a 48 cog yeah?

4 Likes