Did you just ShartQ?

I liked to pay bike shops to do it, then bought the Park tool which means I’ll probably never do it again.

I like to pay bike shops to do the work I can’t do myself with the right tools

Headset shit and wheel shit will keep me going back to bike shops

2 Likes

I like to buy the tools. Also bike shops don’t like charging me so I end up tipping the guy $50 or circling back around with a craft sixer so I don’t feel bad about them doing work for me for free.

2 Likes

fuck, now i’m gonna try to turn some drifts. thanks for the idea! i need more actual reasons to do spindle turning. if that works out someone here can have my park press and i’ll even turn some walnut handles for it or something

6 Likes

I stumbled across this a couple of days ago. Even more diy style!
https://mtbtools.com/product/headset-press-tool/?v=7516fd43adaa

1 Like

Pretty sure I have a headset press lying around, but I still wack 'em in.

1 Like

Has anyone used one of those cheap on ebay cnc syntace flatforce knockoff stems? I’ve got a nub of steerer tube and thinking about my stem options. Been using an equally low stack “wave” ultra short stem but folks want length options.

Helping coworker with baby trailer. Does it strike anyone else as weird that cargo trailer to bike attachment is so much better than baby trailer to bike attachments?

One is designed for loads of precious delicate cargo and the other is a fuckin baby.

I think the trailer designers think a baby is like 40 lbs max and the average parent looks like the smiling gormless normies on a bike path from a department store ad. They know their market. The cargo trailers are designed for crusty nerds tryin to win carry shit Olympics.

I had a (burley) kid trailer I got for free and I used it for cargo and the weakest link was the whole goddamn trailer. It flexed and surged when loaded with 80 lbs of laundry and damn near steered me into parked cars.

7 Likes

The Burley I had was pretty sturdy. I never did upgrade the hitch from the carbon plastic version, though.

That ended up being a major selling point for the next owner.

2 Likes

Well I snagged one so I’ll let y’all know in early April

6 Likes

“flex and surge” is the best description of a kid trailer I’ve heard. Exactly what I couldn’t articulate.

2 Likes

did you get oilslick

No I was a coward and got black, this is for the seine bars

1 Like

that place also sells 36mm bb spacers for square taper italian bbs, I think it’s the only one I’ve seen

1 Like

They seem amenable to making something oddball custom, which is why I was poking around in the first place. Fortunately I think I found what I’m looking for off-the-shelf.

I have a similar one (no windows on the steerer clamp) and I ain’t done died yet

1 Like

No context shart q…
A) Doo Doo Eggplant
B) Cleveland Browns
C) Dung and Chrome

Jeopardy style question answer: What is…the name of the color on Surly’s next frame?

11 Likes