Did you just ShartQ?

Here lies recumbentist, covered in tire goop.

3 Likes

more goop than man, now.

If someone has seen a tubeless install video that actually helps, post it here. All the ones I’ve found don’t capture the nuance of the art.

3 Likes

Yeah, as with all other physical tasks there are so many little things that go unnoticed but make it look/become pretty effortless. And prep work. Like, your tape better be sealing your shit.

No joy yet, off to the shop.

I’m actually a little sore today from all the pumping

What the heck. It really shouldn’t be this difficult.

Sometimes it takes a little tape engineering to go from :-1: to :+1:

A 1/2" strip of clear gorilla in the center channel made my used runny horses pop up with a floor pump.

1 Like

So I got a GP5000 to mount immedately with no fucking around except removing the valve core. So it is the tires. I think I’ll just use those tires with tubes until they die, which is apparently in <1000 miles and then mount the GP5000s.

4 Likes

You need more tape! That’s my advice

Yes in this case. They might even be defective? Does it say TL on them?

Yes they are TL. As I said before they were suspiciously easy to mount.

Trash those tires and just run the GP5000s.

2 Likes

Given that I’m up to 70 miles a week and expect to get over 100 for the first time in years in a few weeks…and that these tires are delicate flowers, I don’t expect I’ll be riding on them for more than another few months. I wish GP5000 TLRs came in skinwalls.

1 Like
  1. 5000s are great but ride quality is meh. So there’s that.

2. @Face is right. The secret sauce to seat supple tires is to partially fill the center channel of the tire with gorilla tape before using tubeless tape.

Supple sidewalls don’t like a deep center channel.

My first tubeless involved Archetypes and 6 layers of gorilla tape

Worked great!

3 Likes

Newbike has clutch derailleur, which I’ve not had before. Maybe dq but is there any harm in leaving the clutch on all the time?

Leave the clutch on all the time

10 Likes

except for when you want to take the wheel out

11 Likes

That free Rd I got scram GX 11-speed, has a stopper which is cool if you pull the derailleur All the Way backwards there’s a button you can press in that keeps it that way. Makes super easy to pop the wheel out

This is how they’re meant to be used. Only turn it off to remove the wheel. And don’t forget to turn it back on when you replace the wheel.

2 Likes

I love ot when folks tell me that they turn their clutch off for the climbs or when they’re riding on the road. Like, OK.

4 Likes