Did you just ShartQ?

I’d imagine the types of weirdos who do this and the types of weirdos who use elliptical rings are strongly overlapping, so they might sometimes have a point

Can you explain to me what you think the clutch does?

1 Like

I think we both know what the clutch is intended to do, would you rather argue that elliptical rings have no effect on the rate of clutch wear?

DQ wouldn’t a clutch increase frictional losses in the drivetrain?

If so it would just barely make sense to disengage it when riding on the road.

I say just barely make sense because disengaging it would be based on fact but hardly worth it.

Would make sense if you’re on a road bike with skinny tires where you might notice frictional losses. Your average gravel or gnar gnar bike has plenty of other frictional losses to worry about

Regardless, anyone disengaging their dangler clutch because of frictional losses needs to relax.

7 Likes

Why? It doesn’t add more tension.

Key takeaway for me:

But on the road, the waters are a little muddier. Riders who frequent rougher terrain and value chain security and/or reduced chain slap more than a few watts of drivetrain friction will likely still find that clutched rear derailleurs work better for their riding situations. However, the argument for clutches isn’t nearly as strong for traditional road riders that more regularly find themselves on smoother surfaces. For them, the added friction will likely compound more noticeably over time, and there are fewer concerns with chain security there, anyway.

Anyway it sounds like there is a rationale for disengaging the clutch on the road, at least if you are doing a time trial.

What we need is a button on the handlebars to electronically disengage the clutch

3 Likes

Why would you put a clutched RD on a TT bike?

I think the new version of Red comes with a clutch

But let’s be clear here I think engaging and disengaging the clutch is dumb from a practical standpoint, but it isn’t completely irrational

Sorry, I completely misunderstood what you were saying. The clutch turner-offers I’ve met all have round rings from what I can see.

To the rest of y’all, the only way a clutch is contributing to drivetrain friction is with not-round-rings. All the clutch is doing is keeping the cage from swinging around under the weight of a bouncing chain.

1 Like

uh, karaTTe monkey

5 Likes

friction facts don’t care about your feelings

2 Likes

Friction fits fine

1 Like

friction shifter feel is significantly worse with clutch on

3 Likes

Why on earth would even try such a thing.

3 Likes

What’s a nice brake lever, that isn’t a Paul, that is slim in the clamp?

I want something that isn’t this