Did you just ShartQ?

The magic of low trail indeed allows it to be a completely normal bike. That’s what it is!

1 Like

Yes

Something that has a local dealer for test rides and service?

Well there’s yer problem!

1 Like

I’m finally getting brave enough to rivnut the downtube on my cargo bike so I can take the hose clamps off.

SQ1 do I need a specific drill bit? (it’s a Surly Big Dummy and probably has the gassiest pipes)

SQ2 will I regret getting rivnuts off Amazon?

SQ3 do the homemade rivnuts tools work okay at M5 size?

1 Like

I drilled a small pilot hole and then used a step drill bit on a nothing fancy steel mtb frame. Mostly because I don’t have a super compact drill and that fit in the triangle better. Plus it deburrs nice and cleanly

A QR hub as rivnut tool will absolutely work AOK.

1 Like

McMaster is better.

1 Like

seconding they step drill. super helpful for anything thin since it has no spiral to drag it in and kinda supports itself better in the hole while drilling.

the HF 3 pack is a phenomenal value for just having around

1 Like

Step bits are great for hand drilling. A center drill is also nice to have for getting a good starter hole/spot depending on the wall thickness

Yeah I haven’t figured out if any of my drills will fit in the triangle yet. I’d seen the step bits and was planning one of those. Guess I’ll have to go to Harbor Freight for the first time in ages.

And I had forgotten about the QR trick! I’ve got some spare wheels around but I don’t know if I want to take them apart just for this lol

there is also the old right angle attachment. get it real low pro, but harder to handle.

there are other ways to simulate a QR hub, in this case, but you could also maybe get a cheap qr for seat collar

Saw a bikesdirect single speed fatbike with jones bars and gumwall tires locked up and got me thinking I should buy a bikesdirect single speed fatbike and put boutique bars and nice tires on it. Tell me not to.

12 Likes

There are a few big BMX bikes in that same price range that would get you there, as well.

Unless by boutique you’re talking about H-bars or something.

1 Like

yobabsfbo

you only buy a bikesdirect singlespeed fat bike once

2 Likes

i’m not going to tell you how to live your life, john. i’m not going to not, either

1 Like

No I’m really asking you all to see to it that I do not do this.

1 Like

I think you need to follow your heart here.
One of my favorite bikes I’ve ever owned was a BD Motorbacon SS MTB that I used as a winter fixie.

2 Likes

Everything’s probably out of stock anyway

1 Like

Buy off the shelf pre-built dyno wheel, or buy dyno hub and have shop lace it to existing not-special rim?

I don’t really want to build it myself before anyone suggests

Want a deal on a pugsley project?

1 Like

By premade and pay shop to tension