Did you just ShartQ?

lol great idea we should do this

6 Likes

I feel like I have been for the last couple years. People just haven’t noticed so much.

Send them to me. “don’t want or need” sounds like a challenge!

1 Like

Any experts on low-end Shimano stuff know if the latest Sora R3000 shifters are compatible with the older (though inexplicably higher-numbered) 3500-series derailleurs? Both are 9-speed.

rear derailleur yes, front triple yes, front double no

Weird. I have a 2x9 flat bar setup right now. So to make the new R3000 shifters work, I’d also need a new FD, but the old RD would work? :thinking:

Old RD will absolutely work. In the rear, 9-speed Shimano is 9-speed Shimano, zero caveats or exceptions.

should clarify “front double no” above is wrong, it actually kind of works

the R3000 front double shifter pulls much more cable/the R3000 front double derailleur needs much more cable to be pulled than old Shimano road doubles - kinda like the 11-speed road stuff and Tiagra 4700.

So you definitely can’t use the R3000 front derailleur with the 3500 levers - the levers just don’t pull enough cable. You can use the new shifters with the older derailleurs… Set up the big ring position correctly, and just use the low limit screw to set the small ring position, and live with the fact that the shift cable is going to go (quite) slack in the small ring. Oh, and any trim positions (does Sora have trim positions?) won’t be correct.

It seems like this is not going to be worth the hassle as compared to e.g. buying a full Sensah 2x11 group, especially considering the Sora shifters are $190 and a Sensah group is not much more than that.

Get Sora here if you go that route: Shimano R3000 9 Speed Road Bike Rear Derailleur Ss Shifter + Front Rear + Derailleur - Bicycle Derailleur - AliExpress

I bought 4700 shifters and R7000 group from this vendor and they are legitimate (" ") grey market parts.

But Sensah 2x11cheap, 2x9 is super cheap - the mini-group is like $70.

Is there any sort of enthusiast knowledge base for FD/shifter cable pull like there is for rear derailleurs? It’s difficult to search for the former given the overwhelming discussion of the latter.

I’ve been futzing around with various low-end 1980s front derailleurs and modern 11/10 speed mechanical groups and it’s surprising how well some stuff works (non-series 100% steel Shimano FD) and how poorly other stuff works (Exage 500LX) with the same 5800 shifter. I’m about the embark on the same sort of thing with 4700, which may work differently?

1 Like

yeah it’s kinda interesting how poorly documented a lot of it is. I think partly because indexing a double is very easy - as long the shifter pulls enough cable, you just need to pull the derailleur into the right position on the big chainring and let it rest against the low limit screw for the small chainring.

All I really know is:

1. back in the day, Shimano MTB triple derailleurs had slightly longer arms than their road counterparts, which meant you could usually just barely get a MTB-triple-on-dropbar-levers setup working, abet with the chain maddeningly rubbing in the lowest and highest gears.

2. Shimano road doubles moved to a much longer cable pull for road 11-speed: 5800, 6800, 9000, R7000, R8000, R9100, and RX810. And then this trickled down to 10-speed Tiagra 4700 and GRX 400, and something similar to 9-speed Sora R3000 and 8-speed Claris R2000.

(so I’d expect that 4700 is going to work about the same as that 5800 shifter)

1. At some point, Shimano MTB stuff moved to a much longer front cable pull. I’m much fuzzier on exactly when this rolled in… I think it was with 11-speed XTR/XT/SLX? I never really touched 10-speed MTB stuff but the derailleurs looked basically the same as before, whereas an 11-speed XT triple shifter that I bought for some reason pulled a frankly shocking amount of cable per shift when I tested it. No idea if or when that longer MTB front cable pull has trickled down through Deore/Alivio/Acera/Altus.
8 Likes

easiest way to do shimano 10s road with a flatbar?

no friction shifters

1 Like

Do you know if pusher springs got stronger with the move to the longer travel on the road stuff? I put an R2030 on a bike recently and it feels like I gotta use more thumb strength on the (friction) shifter.

Tiagra flat bar shifters?

5 Likes

I’ve got Tiagra 4700 on the kid’s flatbar Poprad.

the triple FC-R2030 (and FC-R3030, and FC-4703) are unchanged cable pull from the older road triple pushers, only the doubles changed. There wasn’t any new cable pull to change too, as road triples r dead in Shimanoland as of 11-speed.

1 Like

Older Dura Ace/Ultegra/105/Tiagra 4600? Tiagra SL-4600 shifters

Tiagra 4700 or GRX 400? Tiagra SL-4700 shifters.

If one of my disc brakes is engaging, but not doing much in the way of stopping, that speaks to pads/rotors being fouled, right?
Is the fix to clean everything with rubbing alcohol or to replace pads?

Edit: They’re shimano r785 brakes. bled them recently because they were completely faded. Pads look to have a fair bit of life left in them. After bleeding, they still felt pretty shitty but at least provided a hint of stopping. Now, they barely do that and howl like crazy.

Or glazed over. I’d hit the pads with alcohol and drywall sanding screen, and then scuff the rotor up and clean it also.

I chased a similar problem and wound up replacing both

1 Like

What do pads look like themselves, both on rotor side and piston side?
IF you see rings on backside them maybe leaky caliper, which should also show on the pad surface itself.