Did you just ShartQ?

I think so. A wider rotor on a caliper designed for a skinny one is going to be more likely to rub I suppose. BUT you could probably just bleed it with a tighter fitting block. The shimano bleed blocks are a fairly loose fit so jamming a wider block in there might do the trick.

But yeah, thicker = better. According to TRP you get 8% improved heat resistance and 47% improved lateral stiffness. Seems legit. The fact that they trickled it down to the EVO version of the Slate is pretty rad. They are absolutely killing it IMO.

One thing with regards to all of this that I JUST learned this week that is of interest.

According to TRP, Shimano has changed up their mineral oil formula a bit and TRP/Tektro brakes are no longer compatible with Shimano oil. The figured this out when some of their DH/Enduro guys starting having some weird o-ring problems. We basically found out the same way and now get to replace all the o-rings on at set of new TRP brakes.

2 Likes

Wow, massive :colbert: directed at Shimano.

1 Like

Ugh. I just bought 500 mL of Shimano fluid.

I guess I’ll keep running the skinny rotors a bit longer.

Oh yeah, I got these SRAM brakes from you. Were the rotors you sent me the ones that were paired with the brakes originally? I just measured them at 1.8 mm.

Trying to move the brakes onto sup’s bike also need new rotors since hers has centerlock, hence my initial question about the STEPS stuff.

Yeah, those were the rotors that came with the brakes. SRAM supposedly has centerlock rotors now, but I think it’s only road sizes?

Wait, what?! Luckily I have a bottle of finish line fluid right now as spare. That’s shitty. Was cool when you could just use mineral oil and replace with a saint pad if needed.

1 Like

They make centerlock HS2 up to 220mm, also regular centerlines up to 200mm

1 Like

Yeah. That’s the word from TRP. Super dumb. Grabbed a few bottles of Tektro fluid from Q.

Would shimano get fuxed if I used TRP, you think? Sup has all XT or XTR coz she fancy and that Optic was prettier.

1 Like

No idea.

1 Like

Ok excellent so I’m not gonna worry about thickness with those or the Codes I just got.

1 Like

Is the surly corner bar one of those things I have to buy in a shop? It seems they’ve been OOS for a year at regular places online? Time to fire up the phone and call around?

Is there a decent metallic compound replacement brake pad for the Hayes CX Experts? I thought there was some talk of Swissstop making some, but I don’t see any that they make that seem to be the same shape.

Discobrakes has an affordable sintered pad in the Hayes lollipop pattern and they work well. Look on eBay from user BikeFridge.

3 Likes

Anyone know what this chairpole is?

At first I assumed it was a dropper, but from this angle it almost looks like a normal flip clamp

(not my photo)

edit:

just found Satori has something similar, but I can’t find them for sale anywhere

2 Likes

What’s the point? Hite Rite?

1 Like

Quick height adjust, looks like it’s keyed so the saddle stays straight.

1 Like

Exactly what @rancid_burple said, plus i have this rack situation that stops me from using a regular flip clamp.

I get it now! It’s really a good solution to your exact problem!
Kinda silly that the Bullitt doesn’t have rack mounts on the seat stays. I’ve been using a tubus fly that bolts to the bridge but I’d really rather use my tara. Might need to get a clamp like that.

1 Like

Bro there is like 6sqft of cargo space in the front

3 Likes