Disco Slippers

Anyone have a good method for replicating cleat position on a new pair of shoes? Going from an older Shimano shoe to a newer Shimano, so theoretically the shoe dimensions should be roughly the same, not including wear/tear.

3 Likes

it’s a little rough, but marking where the center of the ball of your foot is while wearing each shoe should get you sort of close.

The problem is that you’ll migrate a tiny bit once you start using the shoe, and if you switch inserts it’s back to the drawing board

1 Like

not sold on those clearance Adidas gravel shoes some of us bought
materials are nice, I like the sole and I don’t hate the neoprene sleeve, although it looks weird af with socks.
but there seems to be something weird to me about the way they lace up and my heel doesnt feel secured down

I get the same feeling with mine. It only bugs me when I walk though. On the bike it feels solid.

I’ve had them on several 30-50 mile rides now and can say that I like them overall. My gripes are the slippery midfoot outsole and the thin laces that cut into my foot when I crank them down. For the outsole, I’m looking for something to glue to give grip. Stair tread and gorilla glue?

1 Like

Does anyone have a favorite clipless shoe for commuting? With a stiffened sole, but generally normal looking and comfortable for walking in? Ideally without laces

not necessarily the answer but the new specialized recon adv shoes have a carbon sold but is flexible at the toes

edit: has laces tho

1 Like

good luck

3 Likes

I want a boa velosamba or equivalent

IMO motorcycle gas tank traction pad. They’re generally already 3m adhesive backed, and come in a variety of thicknesses and toothiness.

https://www.amazon.com/REVSOSTAR-Motorcycle-Traction-sticker-2007-2008/dp/B07Z1P6V4V/ref=sr_1_11?crid=3M00KO07NG46F&keywords=motorcycle+tank+traction+pad&qid=1685118046&sprefix=motorcycle+tank+traction+pa%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-11

https://www.amazon.com/Aramox-Motorcycle-Traction-Compatible-Kawasaki/dp/B09F33QR1M/ref=sr_1_13?crid=3M00KO07NG46F&keywords=motorcycle+tank+traction+pad&qid=1685118046&sprefix=motorcycle+tank+traction+pa%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-13

2 Likes

Dang thats perfect

1 Like

Just picked up a pair of these from the local chain bike shop for a very cheap price:

I was always a Shimano 43 Wide, but the last pair I bought were too short (toe against the end) and the 44s were just too big… Did Shimano change their last?

Anyhoo, the Northwave 43 fits me real nice, wide enough and lots of room in the toe box. Hopefully they’re good on the bike.

Looking for some unwanted 45-46 Sidi road shoes with the removable cleat plate for some dumb experiments.

Also have the following Cinderella rejects:

Giro Sector 46 NIB $140
Giro Rincon 45 ridden a couple times. $50

Has anyone gone back to laces (from BOA) and been happy?

My friend just picked up a pair of Dromartis and they look pretty nice, just can’t get my head around not having BOAs. It feels so natural now.

1 Like

I have to say the idea of a laced bicycle shoe has absolutely zero appeal to me. I had a pair once and it was dumb.

6 Likes

no it’s dumb and if anyone doesn’t believe me and wears a 42 i’ve got a cheap pair of recons to sell you

1 Like

I’ve quite liked the laced shoes I’ve had over the years (first gen Recons, Giro Empires, Shimano XC5). Am rocking a pair of Shimano Boa shoes and they’re good, but honestly prefer the lacey guys.

2 Likes

had a pair of lace up shoes, never again.

1 Like

I really like the function of the Fizik power strap thing, but their shoes are too narrow for me to enjoy it.

1 Like

i use both boa and laces. laces take another 30 seconds to get right? idk, not a huge deal to me and not enough of an issue to not want to use them

1 Like

I like laces as you can jerry-rig a roadside fix or get new laces easily.

This is driven by me having broken a shimano ratchet strap a few years ago and finding them almost impossible to source in Aust.

I guess if you have boa spares in startegic reserve that falls away somewhat.

1 Like