Fenders

Did anyone end up trying those PDW 650b fenders? Saw they are $65/pair currently in the internet dealz thread

Shopping for my DayRuiner…

I have a set of the 700c ones I scored out of the lbs used bin for $20 and they are very nice fenders. I’d never pay retail for them but at that price, they’re real well designed compared to the planet bike or VO stuff I’ve otherwise used.

I am planning on ordering a pair for me NFE. $65 is the correct price for PDW fenders, generally.

Has anyone installed 700x50 ALX fenders over 650b tires? I have a bike pair JLA and figured I’d ask before wasting half an hour trying to install them.

For $65 you can get a pair of Berthouds. Fuck that PDW junk.
edit: https://www.benscycle.com/gilles-berthoud-stainless-steel-fender-set/full_coverage_fender_gillesberthoud_gillesstainlessfender_230/product

HT: Bertoads can’t take a stick without cracking-up

And the PDW can?

Mine have definitely taken many a stick without flinching. I haven’t encountered a stouter fender. I used to rest my sleeping pad and bag on my rear fender when touring. Are you thinking of Honjo? I think I could bludgeon someone with my Berthoud.

Yeah, the front that I just replaced with a wider one stood up to 7 years of me kicking all winter to clear it of snow. It’s dented to shit but still works fine.

I don’t know if anyone has weighed them, but those Berthouds look to be pounds heavier than aluminium PDWs. I haven’t had any issues with PDW fenders yet, the mounting hardware works so I have no reason to switch.

I def F’ed two berhtoads with sticks. Also kinda being facetious here.

http://blog.jonesbikes.com/recent-builds-fenders-and-generator-hubs-on-the-jones-148/

what are these fenders?

The answer is “Big O Manufacturing,” very much defunct.

Not bad looking but they really should have wrapped those stays around the outside of the blade.

absolutely positively asking for a friend
&
i guess an extension of jones chat

2.5x26" is it possible? does anyone make them?

have a gander at the crust world. they love 26" fatties

agreed but at the same time I haven’t seen a nicer looking big tire fender in my cursory 2 day search.

[quote=spaghetti]absolutely positively asking for a friend
&
i guess an extension of jones chat

2.5x26" is it possible? does anyone make them?[/quote]

surly is/was pushing 26+ (kind of for plus-ifying a 650b mtb). I think maxxis and/or schwalbe has joined?

unless you’re talking smooth tires

EDIT: derp, i’m in fenderchat, not tirechat

Electra aluminum 26" Cruiser (NOT Townie) fenders should fit over 26 x 2.5. You will have to build your own stays, and likely cover at least one pre-drilled hole with tape (meant for cruiser chainstay bridge location.

I had them over 2.3 tires and there was lots of extra room, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend for 2.5 (unless they are super knobby DH tires+ your friend sucks at fender set up). The pics don’t really even show how much extra space there is.

I’ve got walds over 2.1” tioga powerblocks with lots of space to spare. I believe they’re the same width at the Electras.

The ridiculous 80mm wide Wald fenders will fit over 2.5s for sure.