Fenders

the normal r-clips are 5mm for aluminum stays

the bits that bolt the round stay to the dropout

ok, got it.
Do they come with the special clips?
Would it be better to just buy some other 5mm aluminum stays?

where can I get some fender stays for a 45-50mm fender? i have some wimpy wire style ones on now but they get bent and tweaked almost whenever I lean my bike against shit and am always adjusting them

if I wanted to diy it, what would be a good material? stainless brake line?

[quote=Todd]ok, got it.
Do they come with the special clips?
Would it be better to just buy some other 5mm aluminum stays?[/quote]

They come with the clips for 4mm stays. I think Honjo also makes r-clips for 4mm stays, but I’m not 100% positive. I suspect that you could use a generic 4mm p-clamp from a hardware store/industrial supplier in a pinch.

I tried a 5mm stay on the Mud Butler, but it didn’t work with the clamp that attaches the stay to the fender.

[quote=dorth]where can I get some fender stays for a 45-50mm fender? i have some wimpy wire style ones on now but they get bent and tweaked almost whenever I lean my bike against shit and am always adjusting them

if I wanted to diy it, what would be a good material? stainless brake line?[/quote]

I accidentally bought twice as many Berthoud stays as I intended so I have a bunch of 50mm sitting, you need a pair? They’re the best you can get for round profile fenders.

2nd dibs on yer Berthoud stays.

Dorth I have made my own stays from 3/16" aluminum rod from the hardware store. Use a Nalgene bottle or spraypaint can or something to bend them around to fit the fender.

3/16" = 4.76mm, so to fit securely in a 5mm R-clip you will need a wrap of tape or something around the stay at the clip area.

Have done this for several bikes. Seems like you can get away without the tape but don’t skip it, they will move too easily otherwise.

Once Fred’s stash runs out, you can also buy them from Boulder Bicycle.

Except when you click the “online store” link on their homepage you get this:
http://www.renehersestore.com/

Try this:
http://www.boulderbicycle.bike

Just email them. Or call.

I stumbled into a weird source for steel fenders, they look identical to Wald construction but in much wider/taller sizes and on the other side of the world from Kentucky: http://www.customvelo.fr/47-garde-boue-velo-cruiser-chopper-ancien

the Italian fella that told me about them said he was massaging 60mm Berthoud stays to fit around these 80mm fenders

What I would give for a recording of Jimmy’s face when he sees these beautiful round creatures for the first time:

hory shet

fender related: i saw a dude riding a couple days ago with a 270deg front fender
made out of wood
with a flap on both sides

i tried to get a photo but i was driving my truck and it would have been dangerous

has anybody gotten hands on the aluminum cascadias?

think i’m gonna get some cause the 50mm width will be better for my setup than the 45mm plastic versions i have currently

I have them, and they’re fine. They’re not Gooey’s beautifully massaged Berthouds, but they get the job done just fine, and they’re cheap. I would like the rear more if it were just a tad longer, covering the bike tire better, but I’ll eventually drill them for Buddy Flaps and it won’t matter much.

I just realized that I have no picture of them, so I’ll snap a photo and share it, soon.

TC: I kinda want to make a mud-flap extender with Xzibit Yo Dawg face on it.
Yo Dawg, I heard you like mudflaps so I put a mudflap on this mudflap so you stay dry while riding behind this mudflap

[quote=JUGE FREDD]What I would give for a recording of Jimmy’s face when he sees these beautiful round creatures for the first time:

[/quote]

Pretty much!

This is from that dued on FB commenting on JAn’s post, no?
Can you confirm material, if these are stainless or standard steel or ?

Who wants to buy the US rights to these fenders?

tarck consulting

and end up with a schwalbe us pricing situation?

def going to see what shipping to australia is like…