Get Fast Now (updated OP with seriousness)

So RE alcohol, obviously getting plastered affects one’s ability to get out of bed in the morning and be productive on group rides. What do y’all notice with more moderate drinking? I have trained for boxing in the past and can get kind of drunk at a happy hour (or two) each week without a huge effect on my training. As long as I can be asleep early enough to get up and get to it…

I really want to try my hand at some road racing, but would rather not completely abandon the drinking.

This is what I asked for. Thanks. I don’t understand some of the commentary. I think some folks are using this thread as an opportunity to offer their opinion on racing in general. I was paying close attention while you progressed and I was very impressed (I e-stalked your race results). I’m curious how much of a base you had before you started training in earnest?

[quote=RonPopeil]So RE alcohol, obviously getting plastered affects one’s ability to get out of bed in the morning and be productive on group rides. What do y’all notice with more moderate drinking? I have trained for boxing in the past and can get kind of drunk at a happy hour (or two) each week without a huge effect on my training. As long as I can be asleep early enough to get up and get to it…

I really want to try my hand at some road racing, but would rather not completely abandon the drinking.[/quote]
maybe it is just me, but i feel that drinking affects my breathing the next day. even a small amount of alcohol can lessen my lung capacity

It’s been my experience that riders who make it from 5 to 3 in their first year do so mostly on raw ability and little else. Count your blessings at your genetic good fortune now because it gets much harder after this.

1.) Don’t ride everyday - yes and no… if you have the restraint to ride proper recovery rides on off days then there is no reason to take a day fully off unless you are burned out, tired, or simply on a rest week.

3.) Sleep 10 hours a night with a 1-2 hour nap in the middle of the day… this is probably overkill but getting sound sleep is VERY important to recovery and muscle growth.

4.) Don’t drink alcohol, coffee or consume other stimulants that drain energy… horseshit. Any of these things are ok in moderation and Tarkatino addressed this.

5.) Climb hills instead of riding flat. NO. Hills are good for hilly workouts and little else… flat roads are good for intervals. It is much easier to focus on your intervals in a flat road. I know guys who have the restraint and focus to pin it RIGHT on their desired wattage on hilly rides but this is far easier said than done.

6.) Have relationship issues… I know you are just kidding but anything that causes mental stress is only going to hinder recovery

7.) Choose to be a loner, because to be the best you have to be alone, so start getting used to it. True for interval days but base miles and tempo rides are best in a group of people who are in it for the same goal. The double paceline with pulls determined by the group is the best way to get in those long stead rides

8.) Live with/be friends with other committed athletes. Yes. A support group is always a plus.

9.) Eat Veggies and Burritos… Eat lots of protein… chicken, lean beef, and fish are best… vegetarians I have bad news for you… you are handicapping yourself. You can overcome this but its not as easy. A shake before bed (whey is best but soy is ok) on any day other than rest days is never a bad idea. Lots of veggies are important, lots of water, and minimal sugar.

10.) Respect your current ability and gently meet your limits one day a week. ??

11.) The bulk of your miles probably only need to be at 80% of your ability… this is 100% wrong. At what percentage of your threshold you ride will vary greatly from day to day and month to month. Recovery rides should be so slow that you feel like you are going to fall off your bike… intervals will make you want to puke.

Threshold intervals are the backbone of every coaching plan out there… 5 minute on 5 minute off… 10 on 10 off, 10 on 5 off… whatever… it’s all the same basic stuff. Riding at a few ticks below your threshold is where the real work is done. But this is usually only once a week for the really hard stuff. Sprints, speedwork, recovery, and tempo… 80% is a bit too easy for intervals and a bit hard for tempo.

[quote=littlebear][quote=RonPopeil]So RE alcohol, obviously getting plastered affects one’s ability to get out of bed in the morning and be productive on group rides. What do y’all notice with more moderate drinking? I have trained for boxing in the past and can get kind of drunk at a happy hour (or two) each week without a huge effect on my training. As long as I can be asleep early enough to get up and get to it…

I really want to try my hand at some road racing, but would rather not completely abandon the drinking.[/quote]
maybe it is just me, but i feel that drinking affects my breathing the next day. even a small amount of alcohol can lessen my lung capacity[/quote]

this is one of the things i hate the most about drinking.

This is what I asked for. Thanks. I don’t understand some of the commentary. I think some folks are using this thread as an opportunity to offer their opinion on racing in general. I was paying close attention while you progressed and I was very impressed (I e-stalked your race results). I’m curious how much of a base you had before you started training in earnest?[/quote]
I don’t know where muscle memory kicks in…
Been riding bikes since ever, and grew up in the hills.
I rode 44x19 fixed for more than 2 years. I recommend this, too. Skids for days, probably the only way I recommend brakless. Gnarly pedal-stroke achievement and coffee shop attention because looks like smooth weirdo.
OH! Valet got me riding a lot because I’d work 40 mile round trip twice a week. and we basically ran sprint repeats for 8 hours during those shifts too. Talk about burnout.
For training this year, I had taken the winter off, aside from rollers a couple times a month. Started with reason in mid-January. Began crits in April.

Just noticed most of your results are from PIR… no love for RR’s, weekend crits or cross?

Are the PIR races just weekly training crits?

For the most part yes, but they’re on a car track with wide corners and laps are 2 miles so not ‘true’ crit.

And these count for upgrades? Are they run in separate categories or A,B,C style? Things are different here… a weekly training race barely counts as a mass start to upgrade from 5 to 4. You have to do bigger weekend races if you want upgrade points. If our Tuesday night races counted for cat 3 upgrades there would be a whole lot more cat 3 hacks in Virginia.

Geez.

good thrad

fuck. i hate being post #51.

You must be really fucking stoned by the end of a ride![/quote]

i read that booze is really bad for your joints and ligaments. sup with that?

its true

Wow this sounds awesome!

LOL don’t mind me, just jealous. Too lazy / noncompetitive to ever amount to anything in (competitive) cycling.

Wow this sounds awesome!

LOL don’t mind me, just jealous. Too lazy / noncompetitive to ever amount to anything in (competitive) cycling.[/quote]

I know right? I don’t find serious training to fun in the least bit so I leave that to the guys on the team who have that masochistic streak. I just goof off most of the time and race myself into shape as soon as the local crit series starts. That’s why I’ll remain a lazy cat 4 until further notice.

The neat thing about intervals is you usually feel really great a few days afterwards…

Wow this sounds awesome!

LOL don’t mind me, just jealous. Too lazy / noncompetitive to ever amount to anything in (competitive) cycling.[/quote]

I know right? I don’t find serious training to fun in the least bit so I leave that to the guys on the team who have that masochistic streak. I just goof off most of the time and race myself into shape as soon as the local crit series starts. That’s why I’ll remain a lazy cat 4 until further notice.[/quote]

quoted because ironic.