Ham Curious

[quote=VT regularbike]Like this? Still better than fgfs atmo.
[YouTube]rTcRU_Z9QDw[/youtube][/quote]
oh god no.

The thing with Surlys is they basically never change the design on their bikes, just put them out in different colors.

So while the Pugsley was one of the first mass-produced fat bikes, the trend has been to slacken out headtube angles a bit on more modern designs like the On-One or even the Bikesdirect. And lighter material like aluminum has been embraced. And bigger headtubes.

That said, I might get a Pug still because of utility aspects that some more performance-oriented bikes leave off.

Also there’s a 50+ page thread on mtbr about the BD bike; it was designed by a guy in Norway for the Norway market and then open molded from the factory to BD. So… maybe less of a shitshow than some other models? but still, shopbro can’t abide.

The thing with Surlys is they basically never change the design on their bikes, just put them out in different colors.

So while the Pugsley was one of the first mass-produced fat bikes, the trend has been to slacken out headtube angles a bit on more modern designs like the On-One or even the Bikesdirect. And lighter material like aluminum has been embraced. And bigger headtubes.

That said, I might get a Pug still because of utility aspects that some more performance-oriented bikes leave off.[/quote]

Thanks, that makes sense. I love my LHT, but a building a touring bike frame probably isn’t rocket surgery these days. Lots more stuff to figure out in the fat bike market.

FWIW I’m kinda in the same boat as you, the Pugsley is less appealing to me for the above reasons but it’s also supposed to be the tinkerer’s bike. On the other hand the Salsa Mukluk is supposed to be pretty nice too…

Snowing here today. If I can get away from work at a decent time I kinda want to go to the hambiek dealer.

semi ham related lols

Gordo d’italia

Was looking at the MTBR thread about the BD bikes, looks like some of those guys have already swapped over the Surly tires. Once you’ve done that, you’re about $200-300 closer in price to a Surly/Salsa. If the wheels/tires on the BD bikes are shit then I don’t really think you are saving that much money buying them.

That is always the problem with BD bikes…most of the components suck. You end up spending way more upgrading and you are still left with a turd frame.

This is coming from a guy with one of those shitbox Gravity SS29ers. The fork is hella bent, and the wheels have not been anywhere close to round for a year+. And it weighs close to 25 pounds…for an alu SS.

after riding a Pugsley for 3 years I switched to a Trek Farley. Way lighter and better geometry for offroad fat bike action. Bonus in that the frame doesn’t look like it was run over by a dump truck.

Lols were had today when I got back to and unplowed bridge and two Hambieks had been the only other traffic. One must have been a moonlander or whatever has the widest tires. The comparison between my 32’s, a standard sized Hambiek tire, and the moonlander’s was eye opening. Only one of us got bored and started swerving instead of being forced into it by a loss of traction.

Went to a shop today that had a Pugsley right next to the Mukluk, and it’s hard to picture buying the Surly after seeing that goofy rear end. They had the Trek and that looked pretty nice too, but too much money for me. The Mukluk seems like the bike to have If you are trying to keep something of a budget. (I want my budget to be $0 but it’s getting harder and harder to say no). I ought to sell my hybrid in the spring, with some racks on the Mukluk it would make a passable backup bike for when things aren’t snowy.

It’s pretty clear the hambike market is starting to diversify. Surlys, Mukluks and the like are at the “adventure/expedition” end while the Beargrease, Trek, Specializeds, etc. are more designed for “mountain biking”. Then you’ve got your BD, Nashbar, KHS crowd going for the “it’s a toy” market.

?

Get that in a pewter bas relief headbadge and I’m sold

So there’s these Framed uber-cheap joints too

Pros: free 29er wheels, tires, cassette, rotors included. vertical dropouts. alu frame. shitcheap. looks like it has rack mounts.

Cons: might not have rack mounts. looong chainstays. the model with longer tt comes in 1x9, which I’m not that stoked on (but might be able to add chainring?) BB drop seems a little lower than similar bikes

Was decently warm here today so I biked to work. Was reminded of the good job they do of plowing the paths I use, and that a fatbike wouldn’t really have helped me much.

That being said, if a Mukluk in the $1000-1300 range shows up on Craigslist after I get my tax return, I might have to go for it. Just not looking to pay anything close to retail.

I didn’t read the rest of the thread, but if you want to get out in the unrivaled stillness and solitude of winter and take a break from all the bullshit of life and carve out a little quiet tonic to soothe your tumultuous thoughts, you should get a fat bike.

I love being able to ride out my garage door and in a few minutes be all by myself in a wide open space while still being in the middle of one of the biggest cities in america.

Anybody have any experience with how the ham frames handle with 29er wheels? I realize that you probably can’t buy off-the-rack wheels but it could be useful for the summer.

http://twentynineinches.com/2012/07/05/fat-bike-29er-wheel-set-mid-term/

http://twentynineinches.com/2012/10/11/fat-bike-29er-wheel-set-final-review/

Dammit, I want to say something but as soon as I do I’ll see someone cruising around doing it.

Hambiek crit race anyone? They let mtb’s play too so nowhere near as funny.

There were fatbike snow races in my neck of the woods last weekend. Fatbike is a thing now.