Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

I think it’s alllllllmost symmetrical – here’s the tech drawing: https://www.sp-dynamo.com/pdf/pd8-drawing.pdf

25+50-100=25
So the spokes should come out equal

Something got entered wrong if they are calling for two sizes

1 Like

flanges are different diameters in the drawing

1 Like

Good catch

Please ignore everything I said except you can still use the same size if they are .5mm different

1 Like

The recommended calculators don’t mention straight pull. is that an issue?

Probably.

Also, I’d never trust the measurements of rims and hubs on those sites. They’re user uploaded so they tend to be all over the place, especially the ERDs. Always measure your hub and rim three times atmo.

dt swiss does straight pull

1 Like

This is a detail I’ve since learned. And the Rohloff spokes can be shortened by up to 30 mm. Not clear to me whether they’re already threaded.

I also found out that my guy would be using the hub in combo with a Schlumpf mountain drive. Per Rohloff recs, he’d need a 75t chainring with his 155mm cranks to not exceed torque specs for the IGH. it’s a goofy project!

1 Like

Yes Rohloff spokes are threaded. They may be available unthreaded too but not sure. FWIW they are made by Sapim. I asked Rohloff whether they’d like me to continue building their hubs with Sapim or stop building their hubs altogether (I refused to order Rohloff spokes with thousands of Sapim on hand). They said I should stop and thanked me for being professional enough to do so. I died.

I’ve lost count of the Rohloffs I’ve built (many rebuilds too). But, funnily, most of my customers got tired of them and now prefer the Rohloff-free lyfe.

4 Likes

That would be awesome, a 75t chainring has a roughly 152mm radius.

Anybody interested in Kindernay hubs as an alternative?

customer is a dipshit for wanting to use a Schlumpf mountain drive on a small wheel, and not even a unique one as somehow I’ve seen this done before twice!

if he insists on fucking around and finding out, get the Schlumpf speed drive

Almost everyone who’s ridden an igh prefers non-igh life.

5 Likes

What’s a good tubeless capable 20” rim for like a 2.1”-ish tire?

Alienation Malice.

Wow, that price is outrageous. I think I paid like 65?

2 Likes

thanks for the suggestion! looks like cliffhanger is also an option… might end up having to go that route unfortunately wait holy crap those are just straight up more expensive lol

Jeez, really?
My second malice rim was on close out because it’s gold(which is best) and I guess nobody wants gold 20” rims for some reason.

2 Likes

the Alienation is cheaper, better, and an entire 100g lighter than the cliffhanger. also dual-drilled for Schrader and Presta so you can either tubeless or run common BMX tubes with ease

2 Likes

It’s a really nice rim. I have thousands of cargo bike miles on them with zero problems. They set up flawlessly with the IRC siren pro which is a super nice tire.
Edit:

4 Likes

Thanks mang. Definitely gonna go with this one- they have the 4D space age WTB spoke hole drilling and everything!