Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

i was about to ask if Alienation is a WTB brand, because they sure seem to use a lot of suspiciously similar iconography/terminology with their rims?

TCS is also the WTB licensed term- I’m bettin they’re owned by the same conglomerate

I have an eclat bondi that was pretty solid for ~500 miles

But gold is best!

Obviously!

1 Like

What rim should I use for rando bike (disc, tubeless, 700x28-32, black, 28H I think)

Originally I was planning on LB AR45s but never got around to ordering. Now i’m tired of battery lights and lost my interest in spendy china carbon wheels and potential visits to German tax offices.

I listed a few that I can find somewhat locally

DT RR 421 (~65 EUR)

• 430g, asym, 24mm external, 20mm internal, 21mm, deep (welded)

DT RR 511 (~60 EUR)

• 490g, 21mm external, 18mm internal, 32mm deep (welded)

Kinlin XR22RTS (~65 EUR)

• 450g rim, asym, 24mm wide (19mm internal width), 22mm deep (sleeved)

Curve Grav AL (~100 EUR)

• weight?, 28mm external, 23mm internal, 23mm deep (sleeved?)

Duke Road Runner 30 (~130 EUR)

• 470g, 23mm external, 19.5mm internal, 30mm deep (sleeved?)

Velocity Aileron (~120 EUR)

• 490g, 25 wide, 28 deep. there is (1) available locally

Any reason to not go with DT RR421? Something else I should consider?

2 Likes

DT seems to make good rims (at least in the 650b world), and 430gm is nothing to turn down in a world where rims are getting more chonky by the day.

3 Likes

I have the RR411’s they were good and similar to what you are looking at fwiw

1 Like

DT makes a good rim. the RR stuff is nice. the regular R stuff is also totally cromulent but the RR421 seems to be a great rim by all accounts

1 Like

Dt 460s are Totally Fine and atmo almost exactly the same rim as kinlin xr22ts. Same shape, almost the same erd and everything. The kinlins might have a bit better shaped bead shelf.

2 Likes

Spice it up with the DT XR331 – it’s a hooked XC rim at @ 380g for 700/28H. Good price and also includes nipples
https://www.bike24.com/p280740.html

2 Likes

My Kinlins have been great. But 421s are wider/lighter and maybe the way to go ATMO.

1 Like

Sadly, it’s embargoed in the USA :-(

So now that I’ve proven I can’t be trusted with Flyweight carbon rims, which LB should replace my rear AR24?

If I’m feeling rich I’ll get a set for for when I inevitably smash the front too.

Related DQ: If I lace my spare TB14 to the DT350 12x148 thru-axle to keep this bike running, can I swap that to 130mm QR in the future?

1 Like

I’ve put a couple dozen thousand miles (?) on AR36, and I’m not small.
also what happened to the AR24?

1 Like

Smanged it on a gap in the road near a construction site.

2 Likes

we should all try using rim sealant too.

1 Like

Huh?

I’m jokingly suggesting that, as tire sealant can fix surprisingly large holes in tires, maybe we could all start putting a stronger kind of sealant in rims to fix problems like the one you encountered.

I mean now I’m vaguely recalling something I read about “self-healing” composites that have little beads of liquid epoxy mixed into the resin, so maybe I take this to the million dollar ideas thread

1 Like

Was this one of the new carbon bois?