Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

Not sure why calculators differ but I can tell you DT is a exact implementation of the formulas in the back of the Jobst Brandt book. (I implemented them for my own purposes and my results were identical to DT.)

2 Likes

Anyone know which Light Bicycle carbon rim is most dimensionally similar to HED Belgium+?

These look close except they’re hookless.

2 Likes

Or these:

ERD within 2mm, rim brake compatible, not hookless.

2 Likes

Hooked is significantly better for tubeless than hookless? Looks like LB says both are tubeless compatible? I’d be running 2.1 XC tires at <30 psi.

Never used hookless rims before but I think the gist is that they require “tubeless specific” tires at low psi but are lighter, stronger and more aero than hooked rims.

2 Likes

AR24 is definitely the better choice for that tire.

1 Like

Just don’t get the flyweight, let the pressure get too low and slam a gap in the road…

3 Likes

visually interesting! maybe a nice next step in composite rim design! maybe misconceived for some reason a materials engineering person will explain!:

1 Like

Lots of marketing bullshit there.

The spike hole angle thing is easy to achieve with post mold machining. The laminate includes Z-axis fibers which is a film from Boston Materials that improves inter-laminar strength “by up to 30%”.

Looks like they’ve begun using the material and simply started quoting the numbers from the material supplier.

That said, I like the design. If they can make a high impact strength shallow section rim, my estimation is that it will ride well.

1 Like

Oh I was largely ignoring the marketing nonsense, the wheelbuilding possibilities seem promising. seems good for strong bracing.

not sure about the aero properties of a rim with that inner profile, but I don’t think that was paramount for them

Yeah, I mentioned the section as it relates to comfort rather than aero. My experience is that shallower carbon rims absorb hits surprisingly well.

1 Like

Oh yeah I’m just generally noting the aero aspect. I’m curious about ease of building a wheel with less bending and selling of each spoke, and of the possibly stronger overall wheel.

I’m pretty sure there have been a few rims that have done the same trick internally

Certainly. Every LB rim I’ve built has directional spoke holes. Pretty sure most alloy rims do as well.

2 Likes

Yup. This has been a thing on WTB’s nicer rims for some time. Offset and slightly angled drilling is pretty much the norm and WTB and some others take it a step further by drilling out even more material for the shoulder of the nipple to fit in to.

MAKE A 26" VERSION YOU COWARDS

2 Likes

Some insights on the Z-axis fiber:

Good stuff, but not world changing.

These wheels are going together nicely:

First time using Sapim HM washers and they make for easy adjustments.

LB WR35 650b 32h to DT350 with Sapim Race 2.0/1.8 and brass double-square nips. Gonna be perfect for under-biking.

4 Likes

Onyx is now making Berd-specific hub flanges that seem to make it all worthwhile

6 Likes

Oh geez I’ve been Berd curious AND Onyx curious for a while, this is quite tempting

5 Likes