Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

tension relative to each other is fine also, as long as you’re in the ballpark at least and not 70 or 150kgf for example.

This is when froggy and I did it on a calibrated tensile tester:

You could get a load cell and make up a frame, or get a digital scale and do the same thing cheaper

Or you could make an even simpler hanging jig and anchor it to a joist and put a known ~100kg on the other end

8 Likes

this fucking website

8 Likes

Here’s mine.

4 Likes

Kinky stuff going on in this thread.

We should all just get together and measure each other’s spoke tension n’am sayin?

5 Likes

The Green machine is no more. Analogue hydraulic machine, terrifying at high loads (30 tons), had to keep stable at 100kg.
Got a fancy new machine, should hold a load at the push of a button (not that I’ve done any mech testing for like 6 years)

whatever happened to those 27.5" Alex Adventure 2? did i dream that up?

Are you 650ing the Trek?

tryin’ my darnedest!

1 Like

Nice.

Yeah, really want to use those on my flatbar commuter MimeBike (Masi Rando) build but I guess that whole project is going to be another year out.

i’m not sure that they exist? am i not searching correctly, only pulling up 700c and 26"

what rims do i want then?

I thought they were shipping the 650b on OEM builds but we are still waiting on rim distribution?

Do you need tubeless?

TC despite my traitor having tubeless ready rims, i have never had a tubeless bike
so idk

Well that was quick!

7 Likes

i bought a bunch of wheel parts and then promptly left for two weeks of travel
my wife has a habit of taking packages with my name on them and putting them in inconceivable locations in the house or garage
i spent half an hour looking for the rim i ordered
nowhere to be found
i eventually found the tire, and the squorx driver (my first wheel with squorx, can’t wait)
then i found the flat fedex envelope with the spokes and nips
still no rim
turns out i never ordered the rim
and after two weeks, i forgot what rim i was supposed to have ordered!
so i went through two weeks of internet search history and i am like 99% sure it’s the DT r500
but i guess we’ll find out

i was right, it is the r500db
it built up really nice. i am never using traditional nipples again, give me squorx or give me death
two wraps of tape and i could get a 23c schwalbe pro one to seat with no sealant and a floor pump in five pumps!
highly recommend this combo, it wasn’t even a huge pain in the ass to mount the tire

I think when I need to unmount my tires I’m just going to throw the whole wheel In the trash.

i feel like that with pro ones on belgium + rims. i need something that dissolves tires but not aluminum because that’s the only way it’s coming off