Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

Definitely use Muriatic acid then. Available at your local pool supply store. JK definitely don’t do that. could probably cut the tire off though.

some DQs:

• what size traditional spoke wrench do i need to drive a squorx nipple from the traditional side (now that i have a tire on there)
  • what is the preferred method for removing a hop from a wheel? this dt r500 is…not round

Don’t know about the squorx thing, but for the hop, I usually reduce tension evenly all around until there is no hop and then try to bring it back up evenly.

Sometimes I’ve been able to adjust tension in the affected area and get away with it, but usually not.

1 Like

DT nips will be the standard “black” size that Park used to color code their wrenches.

1 Like

Thanks. My problem is that my black park wrench strips all the nipples ever and I need a new one

Buy the DT and there’s only one size. Or get the 4 sided version of the Park which is infinitely better than the old one.

2 Likes

Trying to track down a set of gold anodized 650b rims. This is for my first new bike in years and I’m somewhat going to splurge on parts of it.

So far the only thing I can find is the Atomlab Suprelite, which has highly annoying laser-etched graphics all over it.
https://www.ebay.com/p/Atomlab-Suprelite-SL-32-Hole-27-5-650b-Rim-Gold/1524496561

There is also this thing, which I am avoiding for various reasons, but maybe it’s nicer than I think?
https://www.ebay.com/i/292656517564?chn=ps

Last resort is to buy a set of rims and have them anodized at a local plater myself.
Current top of the list is a Stans Arch EX, which I can purchase in polished aluminum (i.e. already stripped of old color) from Project 321.
https://project321.com/product-category/clearance/clearance-stans-rims/

Is there another silver polished (or otherwise not anodized) 650b disc rim I should be looking at? Is there some other gold 650b rim I haven’t found yet?

Notes:

1. Project 321 sold/sells Stan’s rims that they stripped and had anodized lots of colors. They are out of gold 27.5 rims and don’t plan on making more. They do have red in stock, which would be kind of cool but I have my heart set on gold.

2. Trying to find a shop that may have old stock of rims they purchased from Project321 has been unsuccessful.

3. Even finding a stock fully built wheelset that I could cannibalize rims from might work but I haven’t seen any recently.

4. I think Spank possibly used to make a gold anno rim, but I can’t find it online.

5. In theory you can get a full gold wheelset with 27.5 Sun MTX33 rims from Alibaba, but I can’t figure out how to buy only one set, if they even exist at all. Plus the MTX33 is more beef than I really need.

6. This is for a disc brake bike so I coul din theory go 29er or 26er which have rims available but that seems like a really stupid move just in the name of rim matchy colors.

Pacenti has new owners and a trade up promo for a little. Sorry if already posted or known.

That’s good of them. I got some sl23s when they were brand new, and ordered a replacement when the rear cracked at like eight eyelets after a few months. The replacement was a total lemon too.
The bike has had Archetypes for four years now.

Bring back pcd the lug maker

1 Like

Suggestions for a rim to match this guy:

I was originally thinking of another Xr 331 because I thought that this rim would have the flashy Xr 331 decals plastered all over it, but here it is with only a (misplaced, so I’m going to have to peel it off) DT SWISS label, so I’ve got a lot of flexibility for as-long-as-it’s-black pointy-like-archetype rims.

It’s black? Shouldn’t almost any dt rim match? Mine look all pretty identical

Has anyone built up one of the new ARC offset rims yet? I can’t find much feedback online, but I’m planning to try them out.

Where do you find a dimensional drawing or just the flange measurements for Shimano hubs?
Looking for the DH-3D37-QR but nothing is coming up on the Shimano datasheet websites

edit: Whoops, didn’t scroll down, weird that they don’t have it in the dealer manual. https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/DH-3D37-QR.html

Think i’m about ready to order spokes.
Question about spoke hole sizing in hub shell: Does #14 make sense? Its the spoke size for Shimano hub mentioned above.
#14 = .182" = 4.62 mm

My other hub has a 2.6mm diameter hole and many others seem to be in the 2.3-2.9 mm range.
I feel like i’m going crazy and mixing up diameter and radius but pretty sure most holes are in the 2mm diameter range. Wat?

#14 isn’t drill size, but a spoke gauge. 14 gauge spokes are nominally 2.0mm in diameter.

…and this lead down a deep internet hole of different gauge systems and standards, enter at your own risk.

3 Likes

somewhere in this internet hole do they explain why spokes are sold in gauges but nipples are sold in mm? because that has always pissed me off
it is like hotdogs and hotdog buns not coming in the same quantity packages

2 Likes

It’s because spokes are made of wire which is always measured in gauge, nipples are mm because the thread in the nipple is a certain thread standard. Ie m2 x.4 which has a basic major diameter of 2mm or m1.6x.035 which has a basic major diameter of 1.6mm

1 Like

yes and no I think.

wire is by gauge (birmingham wire gauge), but nipple threading isn’t a metric thread (most nips are .086" x 56tpi, #2-56UNC, but there’s probably a nice EN/DIN standard for it in mm), it’s in customary units, as these threads on the spoke are formed by rolling the BWG wire which makes the threads OD larger than the wire diam and obv the nipple has to have the matching female thread.

A 2mm spoke (ignoring the centre area) is 14 BWG, 2.1mm, and so takes a ~2mm nipple.
A 1.8mm spoke is 15 BWG and takes a correspondingly smaller nipple.

I would guess that the nipples are sold in mm as it’s easier to round the converted metric thread diameter to the approximate converted metric spoke end diameter, and because the nipple and spoke lengths are already given in mm as who the hell wants to calculate spoke lengths in inches?!

The nipple flats are another number again, corresponding to the matching wrench. (3.3mm for most non weird or garbage nips)

And while hot dogs and buns come in annoying pack sizes (forced consumption), I can’t recall seeing spokes offered in gauge when I’ve ever bought them, only in their metric approximations. (Edit: ok I can google up 14/15ga spokes, but always with the metric diam as the primary description)

2 Likes