Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

I measure wear of the Phil Wood machine by OD of threads. Off the top of my head, threads should have OD of about 2.25mm if forged with good dies.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, makes sense now!

I just noticed that DT Swiss spokes show both Gauge & Metric Diameter on their chart.
Would be nice if they wrote butting profiles like this:
1.8mm (15ga) / 1.6mm (16ga) / 1.8mm (15ga)
2.0mm (14ga) / 1.8mm (15ga) / 2.0mm (14ga)

1 Like

It really is an astonishing improvement.

Oh I forgot to follow up on this. The four sided park one is what I had. Unfortunately the one I got had a burr in the head and never made it far enough onto the nipple. Evidently others have had this issue according to Amazon comments which is how I discovered it.

I bought the DT Swiss one and I’m just never going back, it’s so good I WANT to use it

But still really heavy compared to the Spokey; I was given a 4-sided Park for tarckmas a few years back, and it’s lovely, but it’s heavy enough to hurt if you fumble it and drop it on your foot.

Wear closed toe shoes

DT has the old, heavy one. Great feel and won’t wear over time.

and the newer one that’s aluminium with hardened steel tool end. It also plays nice with their bladed spoke holder to protect bladed right at the butted section. I feel like mine has developed some slop, but it’s minimal.

Who wears shoes inside? (I do wear shoes when I’m in my bike mess, because it’s hard to get all of the metal filings swept up and they’re a real pain to pick out of my feet, but that’s not where I do my wheelbuilding.)

Crocs are the answer

Flo30 rims at 50% off right now

https://www.flocycling.com/wheels_flo_30_rim.php

Nice price, pity they’re only 700c!

What’s the best spoke wrench I can order out of QBP or another easily accessible parts catalog.

Im assuming Universal uses QBP?
I have an older version of this and it’s nice but I have very little experience with spoke wrenches.

Mine looks like this so not sure how the wing version feelsimage

I got the Park version of that butterfly spoke wrench, it’s fine. @EndpointBraden has some super killer nipple/wrench combo, I forget what it is

Yeah, my real question is which spoke wrench is superior: the DT Swiss or the Park Master

But if someone told me there was a better one from BTI, I’d look into that one.

only possible downside to the Park Master: it is heavy and if you are a massive fucking oaf like me and you wheelbuild standing up and also barefoot, you will absolutely oblierate the tendons on the top of your foot at least once per build by dropping all 280 grams of surprisingly pointy tool onto it

summoning @ergott. He has to have some opinions on this.

I like the spokey a lot more than the park master wrench. It’s lighter, which I found made it a lot more comfortable when I was using it every day in the shop.

The master wrench is nice, but it just doesn’t need to be that heavy atmo.

Squorx nipples are trash. The alloy is insanely soft. Even the 4 sided Park wrench can strip them if you’re not extra careful. I swear they are slightly undersized compared to DT brass and Sapim nipples.

Double square head Sapim Secure Lock or gtfo.

Bonus is you can cut the square driver off a Park SW-15 and put it in a cheap/light cordless drill.

The hex secure lock nipples are pretty great too. But I like that you can always safely round up spoke length calculations and take advantage of additional thread support past the shoulder of the nipple with the square ones. .