Is there a wheelbuilding thread yet?

It’s funny because “designed in America, made in XXX” is the preferred nomenclature for MBA-led manufacturers but even the meaning of “designed” isn’t straightforward.

4 Likes

If by “designed” do you mean picked out of a catalog?

More likely the same vendor/factory that makes the components for many others are building them to specialized spec. E.g. a Specialized stem is being made in the same factory as a Bontrager one. I dont know who their vendors are actually, but being involved on this side of the business there’s a lot of overlap as to the actual factories that are making the components and accessories. They’re still going to get sampled and reviewed a number of times over the course of development. So no, Specialized employees def touched the thing,

What Brooks is dealing with is that there’s a whole lot of people/space/roles between any product development staff and the customer service staff. The customer service staff isn’t necessarily going to have access to drawings or CAD, or even an example of that part at hand to go measure. There’s probably an engineer, designer, and or product manager that could tell you not only what the critical dimensions Brooks needs are, but the CSR/Rider Care guy likely has no/limited access to those people.

Has anyone ridden winspace hyper wheels? They have a deal for shop demos that is hard to resist.

On my gunnar roadie would be pretty gucci right!?

Also possible cust serv guy dgaf/ couldn’t be arsed.

I guess the rear question is, where’s the best place to post the actual dimensions in case anyone else ever needs to relace this wheel?

3 Likes

ya’ll see this?

https://www.islandix.com/

3 Likes

You should probably get one.

Also how has Google not acquired this company yet???

3 Likes

wow that’s quite nice; it feels like an actual leap in the way wheel building information is presented to a human and maybe takes a lot of the mental energy out of the process

1 Like

I’ll get Google’s people to call your people

1 Like

Is the goal to have a well supported product exist for just long enough to build a fanbase before killing it?

3 Likes

Supa hot fire.mpeg

Are you islandix?

Busted

Thanks. You’ve identified one of the most important parts of the tool. I sometimes use the analogy of an expansion pack for your brain. Condensing sensor information into a graphic creates a kind of high speed bus that allows the brain to instantaneously assess the wheel in detail. Wheelbuilding is a job with good ‘mental flow’ characteristics already — reducing the energy needed to build a mental picture of the wheel makes it flow even better.

6 Likes

Goddammit. I watched the explainer videos and you’re right.

Next time I need to build a wheel, Imma get a little drunk and… we’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

also i just can’t get over the foot pedal, not having to take yer hands off the wheel is super cute

2 Likes

Building a set of 650b wheels for the gravel bike-to-be. Have a light set of 700c wheels, so these would be for more exciting terrain. Probably gonna run thunder butts.

Had a set of DT240s hoarded for the purpose, but they’re 6-bolt. Was going to get some endcaps to convert the front, but… Nothing exists to make that work, so I’ll sell 'em off. I’d like centerlock in any case. New 240s would be of the non-classic variety, they don’t seem to offer 32h versions, and they’re expensive AF for lightness that really isn’t needed. So…

I’m looking at Hope RS4 vs. DT 350 or… Leaning toward the Hope because they’re prettier. Thoughts?

1 Like

dt has endcaps that do just about any conversion - it can be a trick to figure out which one does what but they were very helpful over the phone when I did it- if the issue is a boost fork you can get a spacer that fits between your hub flange and the rotor?

1 Like

350s 4lyfe

1 Like

I think there’s some fundamental incompatibility between the shell of the 6-bolt 5x100 QR front hub and what I want which is 12x100 thru axle. I think I got the hub thinking any combo would work.

The obvious answer, but ain’t this pretty?

1 Like