it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

Yeah, German regulations for lighting had something to do with regulating light output at a given speed, but that was when all the lights were incandescent. Because a 20" wheel and a 700c wheel rotate at different RPM for a given bike speed, they made two different hubs.

Once LEDs were a thing folks wanted to use the smol lighter/less resistance dyno on 700c wheels and so they changed the name to “deluxe” because wheel size wasn’t the deciding factor it used to be.

5 Likes

Ymmv

But i did find the single smol wheel schmidt i used with an edelux to be more unnoticeable than the single son28 that i ride all the time with a luxos u.

Edit. I can tell when the u is on. The edelux was way more subtle. Based on that, the fact that i charge with a usb doodad, and the other fact that i have a battery light for slow speed grinding at 3am, today i would pick the smol son.

2 Likes

Similar feels here. With a SON or SP hub, I have an extremely hard time telling when the Edelux 1 or 2 is on or off.

3 Likes

I don’t get why you’d ever turn a dynamo light off

6 Likes

Incremental gains

2 Likes

Yeah, long rural daylight rides are a thing.

man, i feel like i’d still want head and tail lights for visibility on any road at any time of day, but you do you.

Deal.

2 Likes

Redundant rear light and hi viz vest :100:

Which cars won’t notice either, alas!

2 Likes

4watts though, adds up over an all day ride. I always rando with a couple added blinkys for marginal gains, my joke is that cutting the generator lights and turning on the blinkys at 0500 is the randonneurs version of chucking your bottles.

6 Likes

i get a gnarly vibration up the fork with my shimona dyner on between 15 and 20 mph

I definitely turn my lights off in certain conditions, or I did when I used to ride for hours on an assortment of Washington backroads

1 Like

I only turned off my light when that bike had a SP hub. That hub was a turd.

1 Like

:frowning:

I built up a couple shimanos and a sp and haven’t really put miles on them yet

Counterpoint I can’t really tell a difference between Shimano and sp hubs I’ve used

4 Likes

Maybe I got a bad hub since others seemed to have better experiences with them. All the Shimanos I’ve had have been great.

Of the 3 SP hubs I’ve had 2 went bad within 5k miles. They were nice when they worked, though.

Yea I think the issue with SP isn’t performance while they work, it’s the quality control and/or weather sealing. Seems like SON has that stuff figured out a lot better. I killed an SP after a few years of winter abuse and have been riding another for a few more years and it’s holding up fine.

I’ve gotta wonder if there is any correlation with bunk SP hubs and them changing factories a few years back.

Most I’ve sold were after that point and I’ve never seen an issue first hand.

4 Likes