it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

The lights are on all the time on three of my bikes that have dynos. The Lorry only got a battery because it already had an IQ-XE on it and I didn’t want to buy or wire up a dyno light when it was converted over for non-ebike winter use. The roadbike gets small battery lights.

1 Like

It’s the only study of its kind that I can remember, but this is the best argument for dyno lights vs battery lights shartmo

Best to just have something that’s always on and you don’t have to think about it. I know I don’t always turn on the lights on my bike with USB lights for whatever reason.

2 Likes

Checking in as the resident freak who wants to turn his lights off before walking the bike or before bringing it in the house or whatever. Otherwise they’re always on, especially now that my new light doesn’t really have a switch.

Readjusting the angle of a battery light after pulling it off to recharge is not fun. Finding out my battery light is going to die extra soon because it’s 20F outside is not fun. Having my lights Just Work is cool. I do miss being able to point what is pretty much a handlebar mounted flashlight at whatever I want though.

My headlight stable now consists of B&M IQ Cyo T Premium Senso Plus, Spanninga Axendo 60, and Supernova M99 DY Pro. They’re all good but I wish to volunteer my knowledge for the greater good in case anyone cares to know anything about these lights.

1 Like

It’s not so bad when they’re not at eye level

3 Likes

is this the new poster who has football stadium dyno lighting

7 Likes

My current favorite battery light is the Outbound Detour which doesn’t have this problem. The borrowed the quick-disconnect design from photography that works pretty well.

This is one reason why I always run the radar blinky while on the road. It has a 6hr plus battery life. In practice, I charge it once every week or so and I’m riding ~6-8 hours per week.

1 Like

One advantage of using eBike light+cable+battery pack I guess.

how much bigger/better/brighter is that vs. the 80lux Cyo ?

I like this and would probably go for such a thing were I to go full battery again.

I’ve been using the Axendo for so long that my Cyo memories are hazy but I think the M99 is definitely a wider beam, more of a white light than the sorta blue of the Cyo, but I can’t say yet if it casts forward much farther on low beam. The high beam is pretty cool and will light up every reflective sign and license plate in front of you and it seems to start working at about 10 MPH with a SON 28 on 700c. I wanted to get some sick beamshots but have not yet found a good method with what I have available. I wouldn’t say that the M99 low beam produces another $230 worth of light over the Cyo but I’m looking forward to seeing how it performs on totally dark multi-use paths with creepy sketchy turns that are normally not well illuminated with other lights.

1 Like

That camera mount rocks, and I have no qualms about spending $20 per to have it on my non-dyno bikes.

To be fair, it’s not perfect, just really, really good. Mine’s had a lot of mud and muck flung on it and probably needs to have the mechanism cleaned and lubed. As it is, if one just pops the light in, one may need to push the lever all the way down or the light will wiggle a bit. Only happens occasionally and once the lever is pushed down, takes half a second or less to do, the light is rock solid.

Another feature I’m particularly fond of is the choice of materials. They used a special thermally conductive plastic to keep the weight down, which makes a big difference. If it were aluminum, it’d be quite a bit heavier and quite a bit more likely to bounce around.

The very first ones were all aluminum. I was surprised when I bought more and they were plastic. Both versions are trucking along nicely, though.

1 Like

Dyno is 100% worth the weight and drag penalty.

4 Likes

I can’t be the only freak here who hopes someone asks “hey why is your bike light flickering like that?” When I’m walking my bike so I can launch into my dynamo evangelist sermon. Same thing when people tell me I left my lights on when I lock up.

12 Likes

I used to get this twice daily on the train, it gets annoying after a couple years.

“yes I know my light is on”

2 Likes

Further riding has revealed that the M99 is not drowned out by LED street lights like the Cyo is, if that helps to say how much brighter it is.

1 Like

For some folks, and some types of riding, sure.

1 Like

Anyone have headlights they like that connect with the four spades?

Have you recently come into possession of a Supernova E3 Tail Light 2 but were too cheap or foolish to buy an adapter or spend the extra bit of money for the version where the cable comes out of the bottom? Here’s a step by step guide to making your own adapter to fit almost any dynamo rear light bracket.

Step 1: Find some aluminum of appropriate size, thickness, and shape.

Step 2: Make an adapter.

Step 2a: Ensure that none of the holes line up and the cutout for the cable only vaguely resembles a square.

22 Likes

O fuk this is the content we need

2 Likes