it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

That was cool. That guy came off exactly how he came off when I asked for a CAD model for the gopro mount for my old light because I wanted to do it in aluminum. He said something along the lines “dimension X is critical and if you can have it CNC’d then you probably have the ability to model the rest”. Then he proceeded to give me three good reasons why it was a bad idea. He was right.

1 Like

It needs to be the “IQ-X E” specifically

you need a USB-C “Power Delivery” battery pack, and a special cable that matches one of the voltage outputs that are labeled on the battery

15 Volts is the most commonly compatible option for nice batteries

Here’s another vendor that offers all four options of 9/12/15/20:
https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-JacobsParts-Type-C-Trigger-Connector/dp/B08NTTK8S9?th=1

3 Likes

11 Likes

am i doing this right

12 Likes

Tarcklebee for Best Jan Useage

8 Likes

Needs pooptongue

3 Likes

if that’s right, i don’t wanna be wrong

1 Like

The dealbreaker about batteries for me is having to think about anything at all.

I would sacrifice even more watts to never have to consider my lights.

I have a headlamp on my helmet these days, and I would spend considerable effort and money to somehow make it battery free too.

5 Likes

Wind turbine?

1 Like

I hate batteries

I like plugging my light into a hub before never thinking about it for ten years

4 Likes

Never wanting to think about anything and just having lighting that works is a great reason to have a dyno.

I’m curious, for those in this thread for whom this is true, it seems you leave your lights installed on your bike full time. I’m wondering how much use those lights get and on what types of rides?

In my case, I ride every morning, same route, same time and need a light part of the year. Rest of the year, I don’t bother.

I have become accustomed to having the radar taillight which I like, so I leave that on year 'round.

2 Likes

Any time I ride my bike to wherever, whenever. It’s always on.

8 Likes

At this point I have one bike with no dyno, my fast road bike. I use lil KNog blinkies (to be replaced by the Blackburn ones @Gary_the_tennis_ball made when the batteries start to die) . I find it sort of annoying to have to remove them to charge them after a ride, but I’m not so sold on dyno life as to do another road bike with one.

My Broakland road has a “winter” dyno wheelset that’s been on for two years continuously now. It’s just so easy.

3 Likes

This is exactly me. I have my first actually lightweight road bike in forever, so no dynamo for this one. The most annoying thing is that all of my weekend rides begin in the dark, so lights must be charged…

2 Likes

My Cargomerckx is the only bike I own without a dyno and it’s getting one. The rest and the wife’s, the switch is just left on permanently. But it’s much darker for much longer here than most places, of course.

If I had a fast, light bike I’d let it have a fast, light front hub, but I don’t ride like that.

1 Like

Another member of the 100% dynamo 100% of the time cru checking in.

3 Likes

my dyno headlight is only for the nypd and when the lights are out on the bridge so I built it with an sv-9 on 26" for weight / price because I didn’t care about lumens. I never turn it off.

1 Like

All dyno all the time. My light doesn’t even have a switch and there’s no point in unplugging it.

1 Like

I’m dynamo almost all the time. On a 600 last year I brought battery lights and switched to the dyno when they died. This saved around 5-6w, not that marginal. I would do that again. But normally im beyond unbothered by efficiency of the dyno especially because in the winter when you need lights regularly everything is slow and shitty already.

3 Likes

Dynamo means I don’t have to charge lights or use batteries

Dynamo also means ~200g heavier

Maybe I need another dynamo

2 Likes