it wouldn't be tarck without a dyno thread

SP still our fave around here?

2 Likes

Son?

I always wondered of they were the price difference.

Personally I’d do Shimano over SP if they offer something the config you’re wanting.

1 Like

SON is not in my bike budget so I’m a Shimano guy, as ive always understood SP to be a bit of a roulette spin

last time i looked into it the consensus i found was more along the lines of “both can have problems, but both usually don’t have problems” so i bought the one that was not only slightly less expensive, but available with centerlock in the hole and color way i wanted. shutter won this round

Give me tips on cable management. I moved the headlight to the fork crown (with the possibility to move it to the bars instead) and I’m moving the tail light to the seatpost. I can snake the rear light wire along the top tube with the brake housing, but then what? What’s the cleanest solution for the bar/stem/head tube/fork crown area?

I feel like running the wire from the fork crown down under the down tube then up the back of the seat tube would be less obtrusive and less likely to get worked loose by handling. If you end up moving the light to the bars, just run the wire down a cable housing to the down tube.

Any time you can couple dynamo with other cables (brake/shift/Di wires) and heatshrink will be cleanest. Also, drill drill drill that frame.

Di2 wire tape works great for running along frame tubes. Use short sections and don’t flatten out the hump in the middle too much so that you can still pull the wire through later, otherwise it sticks.

3 Likes

Man this sketches me out but I know it’d make for the cleanest setup

what’s the frame?

$20 co-op Peugeot lol

2 Likes

then definitely put holes in it

4 Likes

Ugh more chances to fuck something up but yeah it’d look the cleanest

I’ll also endorse the Di2 tape. I usually just go full length along the underside of the top tube

I’ve had 66% of my SPs fail mysteriously

This little Spanninga Nomad ended up being for dyno, not ebikes, like I’d hoped. The USB feature seems to work well, too. Light pattern is meh, a “be seen” light, but I mostly bought it to pump dyno juice into a battery brick when the sun is up.

3 Likes

that’s a bummer. i’ve had pretty good luck with mine
i’m just trying to convince myself that i don’t need a son
(i know, I KNOW, shimano. i just don’t like how they look!)

This overvoltage protection doodad came with a hub I just bought. Modern lights don’t need this, right? Any reason for me to keep it? Does anyone want it?