Kit Chat

oh wtf

I’m a big boy, but my chest to waist ratio makes anything “club cut” ridiculously baggy.

Same.

It’s really kinda ridiculous. Post ride, when I’m still a little damp from sweat, I’m not always entirely certain I’ll be able to get it off. Still, it fits well around the waist and doesn’t flap or make noise.

Iunno. That’s why I asked. I think I get it, though. I don’t eat on rides < 6 hours, which is unusual, I suspect.

For bike “adventure” trips, camping and whatnot, I can see the appeal, but then one would also have some bags, I presume.

The leg pockets would bother me and I personally don’t mind wearing a jersey.

For small items, I have a little waterproof pouch that holds my wallet, a tiny pocket knife, and whatever else that goes into my jersey.

I need more socks, I started relying on my team socks and a lot of my older ones either have holes now or the elastic stopped being elastic. Who makes the best now? Ridge supply? Edit: Not wool though plz

1 Like

I just ordered some smartwool phd cycling socks which seem okay, but are limited in color. Have some Darn Tough ones, but I can’t reliably get the very particular ones that I like.

What are some other good merino cycling socks? I most especially care about the toe seam not bugging me, a somewhat expansive toe box and a good grip across the instep.

Giro HRC and Giordana if you want something thin and cool.

Swiftwick still the best if you want more compression and a bit more padding.

2 Likes

These are all merino? Oh, nevermind, Matt said “no wool” and you were probably responding to him.

1 Like

Notice how taught it is through the biceps and the fact that it’s pinching in my underarms? Definitely snug through there, but it actually fits my waist, so Imma keep it. I’m expecting it’ll loosen up a little as it ages.

1 Like

That looks great, and that’s exactly how I like things to fit.

Also what’s going on with your stretchy pants? Cow theme?

They call it “cosmic”, iunno something different than plain black:

Couple that with my current favorite jersey:

and it looks like some weird camo getup.

Regarding that Castelli thing, I don’t mind the pinching through the armpits as it isn’t really present when I’m riding and best of all the material across the top of the shoulders doesn’t loosen up and start flapping.

1 Like

The Giro wool socks are cheap and work fine but the achilles area wears a bit fast for me. Not too bulky. Decently warm.

Sockguy stuff is thinner and almost passes for a regular ass sock on warmish days. I bet these would be spot on for your temp ranges. Again, not the most durable, but fairly cheap, comes in fun/dumb coloways like gnome themed or a rainbow sasquatch.

Swiftwick pursuit merino has more compression without being too bulky. A better sock. More expensive. Ones I bought in 2018/2019 wore out faster than ones I had prior. Honestly, I haven’t bought any since. So maybe that was a fluke. They have tweaked the design on these, so who knows.

1 Like

I have the opposite of the “pro” body basically (stocky, short overall, short and wide legs, bulky arms, wide shoulders) so when I kit up I wear an XL jersey and small bibs from most brands. I’m only 5’5" so I can imagine that people who are actually big have it much worse. Most bib shorts come down to about my knees and the “3/4” length ones are about 15/16 length on me. It’s annoying because that’s a fair bit longer than my regular normal-life shorts so the tan lines get weird.

The Black Bibs short inseam bibs fit me like normal bibs fit most and the length is nice, but the padding is kind of thicker than I like, I think.

I’ve been thinking that cargo bibs would be nice to get the pockets on the bibs for phone, keys, ID, cash, etc and then I can just wear a t-shirt that fits fine and that I can wipe my glasses on.

1 Like

Giordana makes their fancy bibs in short inseam (8.5 vs 10.5). I like to show a lot of leg so I got some. They are truly great. I do hike up my regular bibs a bit though too. The small in the base model Outpost bib may give you all of it. The pad is not super thick.

2 Likes

make big shorts short again

1 Like

are we body twins? I’m 5’7, 170 with 40” chest, 34” waist, 31” inseam. I end up wearing large in cycling stuff so it’s not uncomfortably tight but the body and sleeves are always so long

Swiftwick on the road for racing, hbstache (made by defeet) for all other applications and also on the road.

1 Like

I only order the short length option from eliel for team stuffs, but still not that short. I probably show more leg than anyone on the team, though.

7 Likes

This is the way.

5 Likes

Put me down as a tester as well. I’ll happily buy whatever, put a ton of miles on it, and give a detailed and honest opinion.

I don’t want any opinions. Haha. I want you to enjoy it as much as I do.

1 Like

2 Likes