messenger bag, pannier, backpack and saddle bag talk

[quote=bold]re: camelbak compartment

just put this
http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/unbottle-70oz.aspx
on the inside of our chrome. Easy.[/quote]

this is what i plan on doing with my blicksbag.

im going to miss my little bag because its actually designed pretty well, has the best closure device, and is waterproof. it is just getting too small though since im wanting to carry extra clothes and food work now. it also has no padding anywhere and the strap is not comfortable, although it is removable and i could use a different strap if i could find one that’s small enough.

i’ll probably end up using thrifted fanny packs or bank pouches to stow tools and small items inside the big blicksbag.

[quote=bold]re: camelbak compartment

just put this

That technique is not nearly aero enough for my purposes

ftfy

[quote=VT tallbike][quote=bold]re: camelbak compartment

just put this

That technique is not nearly aero enough for my purposes[/quote]
How aero do you need to be whilst drinking margarita from your backpack?

Aero isn’t just a thing you do, its who you are. You wouldn’t understand.

ftfy[/quote]
ftfy.

(except i have a medium two-strap.)

ftfy[/quote]
ftfy.

(except i have a medium two-strap.)[/quote]

i mean, it’s only heavy because my whole fucking life is in there.

i’m considering having Travis add the X-strap to mine. Should I, Conor? Have you tried both setups?

I’d be interested in a Tarcktical front bag. Preferably with a clear map pocket on top, easy to get stuff in/out of while on the move, provisions for secure mounting to a front rack and/or decaleur, and colors that would annoy the people with the “serious” bikes and tweedy shit.

For starters, get kindle, or ereader, or something for the iphone and ditch the dead trees. Get a seatpack for your spare tube, co2, lever, and multitool. Leave some clothes at work.

Not criticizing here, but riding around without a shipping trunk on your back is pretty liberating.

I had my mess bag yesterday because I thought the ride would be more social and I’d be whipping stuff in and out of my bag. Most days, I roll up a pair of jeans and shirt and it put it in my stupid light rucksack, which is way more comfortable. I get bummed when I have to carry a lock with me. The only thing about the backpack that I don’t like is that it takes forever to get shit in and out of it. Mess bags are perfect for that.

Zugster is making tarck randonneur bags. $225 for a big one.

I just modded a cheap bar bag to fit on a nashbar front rack, I think it’s going to work great.

so nice. so expensive.

No way man. Local book stores have enough trouble staying in business without crap like this.

For starters, get kindle, or ereader, or something for the iphone and ditch the dead trees. Get a seatpack for your spare tube, co2, lever, and multitool. Leave some clothes at work.

Not criticizing here, but riding around without a shipping trunk on your back is pretty liberating.[/quote]

can’t argue with any of that.

btw, here’s the loaded bag. fuck.

You need this bag:

It doesn’t look too big in the picture but remember I’m 5’8". It’s really fucking enormous, bigger than a Kremlin. Not pictured: there’s a whole 'nother compartment that velcros to the underside of the bag. It’s designed for your winter layers to go in when you don’t need them, but it’s so huge you could totally use it as storage space too.

blicks, is this saddle bag a one off or?
I was just thinking about getting a small saddle bag. but this big one looks dope too. Why is there no price?

hplus with the 666 posts.

How floppy is this bag when it’s loaded and you’re out of the saddle?

No way man. Local book stores have enough trouble staying in business without crap like this.[/quote]

I suppose it could be useful for academic books that are heavy, expensive, and tend to get sold after the user is done with them, but that’s probably a long way off.

The library works fine for me.

That would definitely be a good use for it. Especially if it has a touch screen that allows you to take notes onto the pages.

Without that option though, I think I’d probably still be tempted to keep the books.

My problem is that I have a minimal amount of seat post sticking out, so even though the Blicks bag is awesome, it probably wouldn’t work for me.

I have the small Freight backpack. Comfy, huge when I need it to be, well made, etc. On those off days where I get to commute by bike, it’s pretty perfect. Laptop, change of clothes, shoes, tool bag, lock. That being said, even though it’s a small, it’s a bit too big for the casual ride. Unless I know I’m gonna be carrying the party in it.