MTB Ride and Race 2011

Yeah how’d you manage that?[/quote]

i work at a trek dealer and the rep must like me or something. plus i’m sorta fast.

really it has put me in financial ruin tho coz sick dealz are hard to pass up.

just did prereg, race in 2 weeks. getting pretty excited.

11 mile time trial, mostly flowing singletrack supposedly with ample passing room. two racers starting every 10 seconds in what i imagine will be a pretty big field. i’m guessing getting in front of the other guy at the start will be a good idea, kind of afraid that it’s going to be a bit of a clusterfuck.

what is the general etiquette for races like this? this will be my first mtb race so i’m sorta unsure of what to expect, any tips? it will be everybody’s first race for the season so i’m guessing it’ll be pretty chill but i’m equal parts afraid of getting passed constantly and constantly being held up trying to pass and not being able to feel like i was able to get as good a time as i could because of stuff i can’t control.

Put everyone else off a cliff, that way they can’t catch back up to you.

Rode my first carbon 29er hard tail today, holy fuck. If I can get enough for the Titus I’ll definitely make the jump.

can’t wait to build up my superfly frame. there is still a bunch of snow here… trails will be wet for a few more weeks at least.

I rode a Superfly Elite. Shit is bad fucking ass. Super quick steering, amazing power transfer, very light. Basically everything you would want in a XC race bike.

[quote=curiousincident]just did prereg, race in 2 weeks. getting pretty excited.

11 mile time trial, mostly flowing singletrack supposedly with ample passing room. two racers starting every 10 seconds in what i imagine will be a pretty big field. i’m guessing getting in front of the other guy at the start will be a good idea, kind of afraid that it’s going to be a bit of a clusterfuck.

what is the general etiquette for races like this? this will be my first mtb race so i’m sorta unsure of what to expect, any tips? it will be everybody’s first race for the season so i’m guessing it’ll be pretty chill but i’m equal parts afraid of getting passed constantly and constantly being held up trying to pass and not being able to feel like i was able to get as good a time as i could because of stuff i can’t control.[/quote

I just did a MTB TT today! (might report later)

10 second releases? That’s pretty tight… The TT’s I’ve done are 30 seconds…

When you over take a rider announce your pass " ON YOUR LEFT, gasp, choke" When someone is overtaking you yield. You shouldn’t stop or slow down, Just try and leave room for the pass. Don’t be the dork that speeds up to try and hold off the pass. . The rider caught you so he/she is having a better day. Most MTBers are cool so don’t sweat it. The few that take things too serous aren’t worth thinking about. Just push them off a cliff.

what hap ther^^^^

forgot yer final bracket it seems.

yeah, i’m guessing the tight intervals is because it’s a big season opening race on a pretty short loop. already ~70 signed up for my start time and i think they expect that number to double or triple. i know they are giving some of the higher classifications 30 second intervals.

it’s raining out ant i’m kind of anxious like skittering about the house debating taking apart my fork to see if i can fix the lockout that stopped working the other day.

Super Stoked For Singlespeed-a-palooza! Wearing my Single Speed Sox!

did the julian death march. ended up doing the 50 miler (they had up to 86mi race routes) since I had been out with the flu for th e2 weeks before it, and was flying the week before, so 3 complete weeks without even looking at a bike.

it ended up being about 7k feet in climbing over 50 miles.
Felt like crap the whole ride. Felt really slow, cramped really badly, and ran out of water and was hungry the whole race just waiting for it to end.

still got 4th place.

ended up meeting some of the topeak/ergon team ppl. really rad peeps.

Going to be doing the Paris to Ancaster on the weekend. Has a reputation as not being particularly technical but very physically demanding, just got the weather forecast and it’s calling for 45 km/h sustained headwinds, rain with a chance of snow, and temperatures of 0-3 degrees celcius. 1500 Participants as well to guarantee the dirt gets churned into oatmeal.

Fuck me :frowning:

Well, at least now it will be technical, amirite?

lol

save cx races for cx season, that’s how i feel about that.

raced today. got first place in my age category, 4th overall in the beginner class. it was cold and windy and kinda crowded on the trails, had i not dropped a chain and started more towards the front i’m sure i’d have been in the top 3, although it didn’t seem like anybody cared about anything but their age categories and i got to stand on top of the podium anyway.

i think my time put me somewhere in the middle of the intermediate class, so i think i’m gonna probably sign up for that next race i do. i’m sure i’ll post better times riding in a faster and smaller field anyhow.

i’m psyched, though. i just need to find some bros to race with though. standing around by myself 1.5 hours waiting for awards was boring.

Nice work Scott! :bear:

MTB racing is Awesome! Racing with your crew is More Awesomer!

MTB race tip of the day

Best 10 bux I ever spent.

So today was hell

60 kilometers, ankle deep mud, hail, 45kmh winds, cold as fuck, I loved it. There was a downhill section where we had the wind at our back and I was riding in a tight group of 4 people, all of us coasting and the sound of our knobbies on the hard pack gravel road sounded like a million bees fed through a megaphone. I remember thinking that at this speed, losing traction would be total eat shit and die territory. Really hard race, had the time of my life.

^-this.

goddamn im tired

awesome, dudes. sounds way more epic than my race. and both of you riding ss - i’m considering singlespeedifying the kona, just cause and to make some cash pawning off the shifty parts.

Singlespeed-a-palooza was the usual MOST Awesome race party on the east coast. The course was a mix of well drained buff, bermed up single track and epic uphill slogs in deep mud.

Torrential rains the night before left some great photo opps at some of the hub deep lake crossings.

Preriding the course the day before, I felt all stiff and jerky. It’s been a while since I rode full rigid. But on race day I had my flow and moe all worked out. Felt smooth like I knew what I was doing. All though the first lap I shadowed my team captain till I dropped my chain. I worked hard making contact again thinking if it drops again I’d have to readjust the stupid ENO hub. Mr Zank was right behind me when the chain dropped again at the crest of a shallow step up.

I pulled of and reset the hub in a big hurry without paying attention to the brake pads. Riding off I felt the rubbing, wondering if I was hitting the side wall.(turns out it was) I worked hard making contact with team captain again, when he dropped his chain. I waited for him letting five or so riders past then put the gas on once he made contact.

I pasted 8 riders in the last mile spinning like a machine on the flat paved 1/2 mile right up to the finish.

32/69 sport men Norrth.
http://www.darkhorsecycles.com/race-rumblings/82-singlespeed-2010.html

Pics later,