New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

A stick shift but it’s numbered 1-6 and the computer decides what gear you’re actually in and might shift without any input from you, and you have to use your smartphone to tell it how you want the shifting, suspension, and brakes to behave.

4 Likes
2 Likes

$400 dynamo light

1 Like

that mostly exists to match Klampers, if you have real brakes it might not be for you

it’s claimed to be somewhat less garbage now:

powering it from a USB battery is a little cool, but seems overcomplicated with two different cables between the two — and if you’re actually going that slow for any length of time, a helmet-mounted light is way better

really it would be great if B&M made a successor to the Luxos U in one of the newer form factors, with a small lifepo4 battery for the standlight/buffer

4 Likes

but most likely integrated solution is to have a dedicated USB Charger, a modern cache battery that provides USB-C PD output, and one of these cables for powering a standard e-bike headlight:

let the headlight and the dynamo stuff be independent gizmos, with serial integrations between them that don’t all have to work

4 Likes

On dynamo light topic:

I rode through some thick fog last night and got a cool view of my IQ-X’s beam pattern.

12 Likes

I KNOW WHAT I WANT

but seriously I just got this tiny 12k mah battery that is basically 6x4x1cm and weighs half of nothing

1 Like

A battery light would have to be pretty cool for me to consider it over a dynamo. not having to charge a light ever rly removes so much mental strain from my little noggin.

2 Likes

Yeah but what about charging your phone or gps

In short, yes

In long, y don’t those mfs make it waterproof too

And while we’re in the mood for asking things that don’t exist, how about a bike computer that has gps and works as a spot tracker

1 Like

Phone batteries are good enough today I don’t care about them once they are in low power and airplane mode. GPS unit is the same ROAMs have rly good battery life.

I can not fully explain the complicated and nuanced workings of my neurosis.

Cool, how about folks with phones that are now 3 years old

the basic trick is just getting a more powerful stays-on version of the dynamo light from a real manufacturer

I’ve been using this jawn IQ-X E - Busch + Müller EN on a MTB to get the same beam as the normal IQ-X but 50% more output

there’s also e-bike-only features like high beams, and a new much bigger model too IQ-XL E Highbeam - Busch + Müller EN

I’m also pretty curious about this wacky idea on singletrack:

6 Likes

My 11 pro is now 3 years old so can’t help ya there.

shit that’s genuinely a cool feature.
Maybe after another two years of therapy I can free up the neurons to look at battery lights again. /s

2 Likes

kinda similar to all the people that kept wanting to hack together Di2 - Dynamo integrations, when that battery lasts longer than your chain lubrication

it’s pretty hard to justify the complexity of dynamo charging when you could just have a little backup battery by itself with no more fuss

would make sense if you were going on a week+ trip that didn’t periodically allow you to sit down in a town or otherwise get resupplied, but otherwise “why not a bigger battery capacity”

The 12V battery pack plus IQ-X E combo is so good feels like cheating. Better beam than battery lights, bright af, no crappy standlights. I literally may not mess with another dyno setup again.

2 Likes

Mine too

1 Like

I think this category of USB-C PD cables were the last piece of the puzzle to make this normal: https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-MagicConn-SH-CP15A-Cable-15V/dp/B0B9FTJHGV

this might have been the original, made for audio nerds to power their gear:

those dedicated 12V batteries were kindof fussy to manage, but modern USB batteries have high-wattage output standards for 9, 12, 15, 20V — these cables just have a standard chip that normally goes in a device to negotiate that mode