New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

i knew a guy who would leave a tube tied inside his rear triangle so he could install it without removing the wheel. one sided changes that calculus to like, arithmetic

4 Likes

What was his plan for the incumbent tube? Cut it out?

1 Like

There was no incumbent tube. Get a flat during the race, toss the tube in real quick, keep writing as fast as you possibly can. Was a mountain bike race strategy

A bike wrice

7 Likes

Straight up genius

1 Like

It took me a while to figger out how that would work

I still can’t figure it out. How would they get the tube around the axle?

Already is around it

5 Likes

Tube around one side of the rear stays

1 Like

I don’t remember if I actually did that when I had a gearhub + drum-brake + horiz dropouts sled but i def thought about it, tube changes were a nightmare

3 Likes

jesse kelly is/was many things. i can’t exclude genius from the list but man he was an awkward dude to share a basement with the night before a big gravel race that he was RACING and i was racing my prior years time

1 Like

Some (mid engine, 24hr type) vintage race cars had their alternator sitting on the transmission, powered via belt drive off one of the half shafts.

They would pre-install an extra belt around the shaft and taped out of the way, so if needed mid race it would be a quick fix.

Wut?

Someone draw this or something, I feel like I’m missing something obvious.

  1. take the wheel out of the MOTHERFUCKER.
  2. put the tube in where the wheel goes like it’s a wheel but it’s not it’s a tube.
  3. tie that shit up outta the way, but leave it looped around inside one set of the stays on the fuckin bike.
  4. put the wheel back in the MOTHERFUCKER.

Sorry my phone auto caps MOTHERFUCKER and I think it’s funny.

6 Likes

it took me a while too, don’t feel bad. here is my attempt to draw it in powerpoint

3 Likes

sort of. i’ll draw or demonstrate later if i can remember.

The way I visualize it is imagine taking your tube off without taking your wheel off. That’s your starting point with the spare. Just gotta tie it out of the way.

4 Likes

yeah that’s putting it more succinctly than i could

2 Likes

LMAO for some reason I was picturing a folded up tube lashed to the seat stays for some reason.

Now it makes sense.

me too and i had to really think about it

1 Like