…but why
“… what he says is the most iconic stem of all time.”

structurally terrible too
Zap crü:

“However, this is no ordinary stem. It uses an unusual attachment method that requires a tube to be brazed or glued inside the fork’s threaded steerer, and the stem then clamps onto that tube, allowing it to be smaller and lighter than a standard stem that has to fit around a larger diameter steerer.”
lol ok

Why doesn’t he just adapt to the comparatively new standard of 9/8
I envision Rene herse 2000 making a “strong light pulsion” style carbon varietal of this stem
the lack of a faceplate is what sent me over the edge.
the whole point appears to be “threaded steerer/headset but threadless stem means the steerer is free of both a star nut and a stem quill, meaning I can stick a rotary switch on the top for my dynamo lights”. I can’t see any other rational reason put forth by Jan.
of course, if you want a rotary switch, you can already do it with a threadless stem: TMAT stem switch | Velo Lumino
whatever reasons Jan has, it’s certainly not weight. a cheap Kalloy Uno is significantly lighter.
(are there maybe rinko reasons you want to take the handlebars off but not the fork? it’s easier to get the stem straight with the wheel than to get the handlebars perfectly angled in the stem exactly like you had it before…)
My ibis had a brazed-in tube for the stem (paired with a standard, 1" threaded headset). Worked quite well, and was actually less finicky than the quill stem on my Ritchey.
I hope Jan has good insurance.
Did Jan just reinvent a threaded to threadless adapter by losing the pinch bolt in favor of glue and changing the steer tube size to only work with 1 stem in the world?

very cool rotary switch, but is it really worth $150 to turn your dyno lights on and off from the stem? on the one hand I want boutique product to be priced in a way that ensures its designers and manufacturers are fairly paid, yet on the other I find it hard to believe that is the appropriate price point
it is
Is Jan at peak fart-sniffing yet?
bro it’s so difficult to machine that they may never do it again
That might happen when he tries to sell us on a completely new wheel size.
674d is more aero, bro
doesn’t everybody just leave their lights on? I thought that was the point of the dynohub.

