New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

Lucky-- mine is at 95%
You record rides on the phone?

1 Like

ok, so this setup is:

dyno >> usb charger >> 12v battery >> ebike headlight?

1 Like

Before buying one I wondered if there might be something better re a fancier USB battery pack. A bigger version of the Talentcell pack you linked to a while back was just the basic thing that was needed. I’m just commuting, don’t need anything fancy.

Originally I was going to use some LiPo R/C packs that were sitting around, but I’d like to get rid of those and the huge fancy charger.

1 Like

Cabinet’s all fancy with wall juice money

4 Likes

core maximum lighting setup is:

USB-C battery → special USB-C PD cable + barrel jack → german ebike headlight

for extra bikepacking credit also add:

Dynamo → USB charger → USB-C battery

3 Likes

god damn you Fredd you are changing my mind and I WANNA REMAIN OBSTINATE >:(

1 Like

@JUGE_FREDD any experience with using the output port on an Exposure Revo to charge stuff? They sell a pricey cord for it, but I haven’t seen anyone use one in real life.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Exposure Revo in real life

am generally pessimistic about all of these non-german boutique dynamo products

their Redeye taillight for that output jack is listed at 45 lumens, so about half a watt which is the original 1990s USB power output

2 Likes

I thought this too, but then got a little 10ah slim thing that weighs nothing and has decent USB-C PD functionality built in for less than what I would pay for a similar amount of Wh in raw cells.

Since we’re on the topic of lights, I’m really digging the beam on my Outbound Detour. Probably the best battery powered light on the market that I can tell in that it casts as much light as a comparable nice flashlight but has an optic that’s really optimized for the use case.

Really wish I understood more than 20% of what is being discussed in the New Ultimate Light Setup discussion.

We’re talking a battery like a backup phone charger battery? And sticking it somewhere on the bike?

2 Likes

I only understand a little, but I think:

• Light runs off battery
  • Dyno charges battery
2 Likes

link to your slim 10ah boi?

https://a.co/d/ahybwuk

If you’re into diminishing returns, there’s also this one:

https://a.co/d/iwIrlVJ

Which is twice the price and almost 60 grams lighter. It’s also a lot more tactical!

I’ve had the Anker one a while. I’m impressed with the packaging, the fit and finish and it’s always functioned flawlessly. It does USB-PD, but I haven’t tested it to verify the full 20W of output.

Italics by me.

2 Likes

Thanks, missed that part.

I guess the main drawback is the added weight of the battery?

I haven’t used such a system but I’d think that (especially vs. typical battery bike lights), the big drawback is having a separate battery and cord to stow and manage how they are connected to the light.

That Outbound Detour that @halbritt likes is all self contained, but USB-C rechargeable. So in that case I guess you get a really nice integrated light/battery package, but also the ability to recharge it if needed from your battery backup pack. But only need to deal with fussing with battery and wires if you need to recharge.

edit to add Fred quote:

The big difference between these two packs is the actual achievable energy delivered from the nitecore one is much higher, neither gets 1Ah but the Anker only hits about 60% of that value in real use Nitecore NB10000 Review - Backpacking Light

2 Likes

The main drawback is that you’re back to turning a battery light on and off instead of hopping on your bike and the light turns on when you start riding.

1 Like

Can the Outbound Detour be rigged under the bar?

I’ve been using epoxy to keep my Blackburn mounted under-bar, but it is a matter of time before the epoxy fails in the worst place.

Why does USB C make batteries good again?

3 Likes