New & Interesting Bike Campenaerts

I think it’s that the actual numbered USB spec under the plug standard allows for much higher current to be passed

2 Likes

Yes.

Mine hangs down from the GoPro mount on the bottom of my computer mount doodad.

I’m not surprised. Each is targeted at different markets, Nitecore being more of a flashlight nerd brand. They make many products that are best at what they do.

I bought the Anker for no specific purpose as it was one of the first to market with USB-C PD. I was surprised and pleased with the packaging and build quality relative to earlier power banks I have by Anker and others. It will survive a drop test unlike the NiteCore one.

If I were doing multi/day backpacking or poopbarning, I’d go the extra for the NiteCore.

1 Like

I think being able to plug your light into a battery bank makes battery lights better than they were years ago. Not that I use them lol, but I’d give it a shot on a non-dynamo bike!

2 Likes

In the realm of powering ebike lights from a battery, these could be interesting. Different mount geometry gives options for handlebar, upside down, and “rear” mount. They offer rear lights with different mount options as well.

https://www.bike24.com/p2408035.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2408034.html
https://www.bike24.com/p2660699.html

Adding images since the link preview isn’t working

2 Likes

Plus one gozinta and gozouta that seems to do the right thing most of the time.

I would pay extra for a battery that could charge with my iphone charging cable so I didn’t need to keep track of the other one

2 Likes

this will happen in a matter of time when everything moves to USB-C

1 Like

I have a feeling you can’t effectively charge off the exposure OUT port. I think it might be DC? for their funky light. I just got a Klite harness and a Sinewave USB charger when I was using a Revo light. Now I use all Klite which gives me everything for bikepacking anyway. I was just using a piddly 2x 18650 DIY power case from AliExpress on my last big ride. Just toggle switched from lights to charge on the harness.

3 Likes

I’ve had a few with this feature, but you have to go for Chinese brands because Apple won’t let you use their logo/license shit for the connector that way

this has both Lightning input and wireless output: https://www.amazon.com/MOMAX-Wireless-Portable-10000mAh-Lightning/dp/B09DKXYQS7

3 Likes

yes these Outbound lights are extremely good

especially the helmet mounted ones that strike a great balance on minimizing the battery size while using the adaptive feature to extend runtime

but Heath has still never seen a real modern StVZO light in person, and is comparing to flashlights

the beam of that Outbound Detour is still not as good as a Cyo Premium at distance, the IQ-X is better at everything, and the IQ-X E is another 50% more output on top of that

1 Like

I have access to a couple of those lights, currently mounted on bikes. Might be up for an experiment or two. My initial impression is they are fine lights with nice cutoff, but haven’t done any side by side comparisons.

1 Like

Nothing modern, certainly. I would compare to flashlights as an optimum for optical efficiency for a particular emitter given that in most cases, the optics themselves were designed explicitly for use for a particular emitter. From there a distinction needs to be made as to optimal beam width.

The Detour provides excellent coverage that extends wide and down in ways that are useful but the range is somewhat limited. To get the distance I like, I have to aim it higher than I maybe oughta.

Tempted to by an IQ-X E just to do the Pepsi Challenge.

1 Like

It’s Apple who are the weird ones here.

2 Likes

Do these usb-c lighting setups have any issues with waterproofness?

Just curious as it seems like a really good idea for a fat bike that can’t really get a dynamo. But it’s usually kind of wet when you ride a fat bike.

Reminds me, I managed to order a B&M Eyro a while back for my fat bike from bike24 and now they won’t ship them to the USA presumably because the battery is too big

Did you just invent mountain bike lights?

1 Like

Yeah maybe but most of those are spotlights instead of stvzo style

If you do, I’d love to hear about it.

They’re inexpensive enough that I might consume a front and rear light to mess with. Besides the ones posted, they also have a 70 lux light that’s less than 28 euro.

Interesting idea, I wonder how intuitive it is for our brains to process grid changes at speed. Also it has the same limitations has a bright single point source headlight, without being able to actually see around you

1 Like

Their main use case is a curb, which I can see just fine with a regular headlight

I’d give it a shot in conjunction with a normal light. Would probably be more useful if it was 30ft out in front instead of 5.

1 Like