Poopbarning: not pukebacking like they used to thread

Baby’s first s24o setup (summer camp)
Here’s what I would do
Lightweight sleeping bag (I like feathered friends) + compression sack
Ground cover + tarp tent + foldable (not inflatable) mat + inflatable pillow(*citation)
JetBoil + dangle cup + aeropress + actual fork (fucka spork) + large foldable knife

I have a hammock but it has ended up a ground cover multiple times. I like my inflatable thermarest but ??? Some people don’t like them because they’re not comfortable for them or they get damage or ???. IMO a good sleeping bag is very good value - light weight and packable is important if you don’t have a lot of room - I have the feathered friends flicker (30 deg) and I think it’s a bit too hot for midsummer for me (I should have got the 40deg prob).

There are other things you may need - flashlights, firestarters, tools, entertainment. This is just a basic start

I can’t sleep on a foldable mat without having numb body parts in the morning. Maybe if I were going somewhere really grassy or a nice soft forest floor…

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]Baby’s first s24o setup (summer camp)
Here’s what I would do
Lightweight sleeping bag (I like feathered friends) + compression sack
Ground cover + tarp tent + foldable (not inflatable) mat + inflatable pillow(*citation)
JetBoil + dangle cup + aeropress + actual fork (fucka spork) + large foldable knife

I have a hammock but it has ended up a ground cover multiple times. I like my inflatable thermarest but ??? Some people don’t like them because they’re not comfortable for them or they get damage or ???. IMO a good sleeping bag is very good value - light weight and packable is important if you don’t have a lot of room - I have the feathered friends flicker (30 deg) and I think it’s a bit too hot for midsummer for me (I should have got the 40deg prob).

There are other things you may need - flashlights, firestarters, tools, entertainment. This is just a basic start[/quote]
Thanks you! What kind of tools? A knife for bears, and what else?

As for heating implements, a friend of mine who camps thinks this is a cool idea but doesn’t have one: https://www.rei.com/product/897772/biolite-wood-burning-cookstove I like the idea of not having to carry fuel… but it needs to be charged so I dunno. Anyone used one of these?

Are you really talking camping with babby - or just noob camping?

If babby i’m getting better but honestly have not yet figured out camping “light” when a kid is involved - you’re always schlepping for someone else too. I throw everything non-food related in a large North Face Base Camp duffel and put it on the Bullitt. A separate bag for food and sometimes the kid’s bike is strapped to the top as well.

I have a Trangia set that I’ve yet to use while camping with kids - in the end we always choose a place with firepit because HY kids (and dads) dig roasting sausages and marshmallows over a fire.

This is a particularly fast/bad pack job but you get the idea

• tent
  • my sleeping bag + inflatable mat
  • kid sleeping bag + foldable mat
  • extra blanket for kid (because he can’t stay in the bag to save his life)
  • 2 camping pillows
  • fire starter (paper, lighter, etc)
  • food (precooked sausage, hardboiled eggs, cut raw veggies, bread, marshmallows, fruit, animal crackers)
  • drinks (2L water, 2-4 beers, apple juice)
  • forks, serrated knife, 2 metal cups
  • jackets (rain + warm)
  • TP / wet wipes / night diaper
  • kid PJs, extra kid outfit
  • extra socks
  • suncreen
  • toothbrushes + toothpaste
  • book, small toys for playing in tent
  • headlamp / tent lamp
  • pocket knife, hand saw
  • basic bike tools, extra tubes, pump

if it’s easy for you to get out of the city with the kid highly recommended. Shooting for once a month this season

Fuel weight is negligible unless you’re backpacking or going for like a week+. You might even end up worse off adding a battery pack and fan. I would want to avoid the risk of having damp wood ruin my ability to cook.

Edit: I think we were talking about noob camping setup but I like the direction this thread has taken

Kid camping with a Bullitt would be badass

I used to like doing S24Os that were like 1-2 hours of riding followed by 4 hours of drinking because I’d do 4x panniers and have one completely full of beer but YMMV

A guy had one of those Biolites on the last winter campout. It was cool in a “flying car” sort of way but didn’t really seem that useful, especially for an overnight.

If you want to cook with wood for the fun of it, google “ikea hobo stove”.

For an alky stove, as mentioned just build one of the Fancy Feast sideburners, it’s super easy and works great. If you want to do beer can engineering it’s certainly fun but not worth the effort from a practical standpoint. Just don’t forget about fire restrictions…

Otherwise I’m super happy with my $15 Amazon special canister stove, it’s a no-brainer to use. Paired with a $15 aluminum Olicamp Mug and you’ve got a good cheap setup. The Olicamp mug nests with a Nalgene bottle to save space, and I recommend getting some silicone tubing to put on the handles (see the first Amazon review). With a plastic disposable spoon and Victorinox serrated paring knife, I’m good to go.

I’ve been going without a stove for the past few S24Os and been very happy to not have to deal with it. I would never go on a week long tour without a stove but can easily be happy without one for a day.

I said it in the other thread, but there’s no reason not to bring excellent perishable precooked food on a 24hr trip
your burritos won’t go bad just from being out for a day
no stove required

[quote=Lowrey’sOrgan]I said it in the other thread, but there’s no reason not to bring excellent perishable precooked food on a 24hr trip
your burritos won’t go bad just from being out for a day
no stove required[/quote]
yep

coffee tho

If there is one thing that Saved By The Bell taught me… caffeine pills are great

cold brew?

making hot coffee after waking up outside is one of my favorite things in the universe so fuck everyone

I’m in this camp too, I’ll pregrind and bring the Clever plus however many filters. Jetboil and fuel is already in the bag.

Wow, don’t take away the substance from the addict, they get cranky!

yeah, this. caffeine is only one part of the equation.

edit: wait, except the “fuck everyone” part, that’s a bit harsh :frowning:

rly though hot chocolate

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]Wow, don’t take away the substance from the addict, they get cranky!
[/quote]

Zack Morris is traaaAAAAaaash

I did cold brew while camping once. I agree, even hot summer mornings are nice to get started with a warm one tho!