Post pictures of your bike mess *NOT SAFE FOR ARTBLUR*

yes bike vertical = bouncy bits hoirzontal =bad.

So just hang it by hooking the saddle nose over a heat pipe like I did last winter, got it.

We are being a bit melodramatic. That fork and every single one like it get shipped in a box laying flat to a bike company or distro.

Better safe than sorry with a used fork that has used thus questionable seals. So yes, by the seat is for the best.

so what about bikes with their squish mechanisms pretty much parallel to the tt?

Hang it upright, hang it vertical, hang it up-side-down, whatever. It will do no damage to the bicycle.

In +15 years I have never had any oil leak from a fork or shock from storing a bike in any way, even some with totally blown out seals. Not that it even matters, if you have shitty seals you’ll need to replace them before you ride anyways. Shitty seals let dirt in which is way worse than possibly weeping a tiny amount of oil from having the bike vertical.

The closest thing to damage that can occur is if you squeeze the brake lever with the bike vertical or up-side-down if and only if you have an open master that doesn’t purge all air out of the system. Even this will only introduce a tiny air bubble into the lines that will probably work it’s way out once the bike is back on the ground. Worst case scenario, you bleed the brakes.

Yeah, mine has that^^ It’s probably pretty much parallel to the ground when hung by the saddle nose.

Whoa, that is a great stone, Rusty. I don’t think I read it when you had posted it the first time.

The forest preserve where I ride is the site of a Manhattan Project nuclear lab. After WWII they bulldozed the buildings, buried the nuclear materials under that stone and planted trees on the whole thing. It wasn’t till the 70s that the place was explored again.

Holy shit! I found a picture of the thing being buried there!

Argonne history: Chicago Pile-3 Demolition by Argonne National Laboratory, on Flickr
And here it is in use!
Argonne history: Chicago Pile-3 Site A by Argonne National Laboratory, on Flickr
The history of the place makes riding there so much more fun!
So many stories must be attached to the bits of cinder block and brick that occasionally stick out of the trail!

in college, we’d sneak into the sub basement of the physics building to look at the cyclotron from the manhattan project:

students would tag it, and it then looked like this:

then they started on a new building in that corner of campus, sold the machine for scrap, and turned that room into field office for the construction company: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/nyregion/20atom.html?pagewanted=all

Rusty, that’s some serious history. You ever see this guy in the woods?

Sad to see the cyclotron fall into such unceremonious circumstances. I can assure you the contractors did not respect the history of the place.

Relevant to marking decommissioned nuclear sites to future humans to prevent them from digging up or planting crops on top: Ten Thousand Years - 99% Invisible
I loved this part:

Relevant to the above:
http://www.wipp.energy.gov/picsprog/articles/wipp%20exhibit%20message%20to%2012,000%20a_d.htm

I love you nerds.

I once assigned my physics class to design a system to warn future generations about hurried nuclear waste. Best ideas were giant pyramid monument things. We discussed the success that real pyramids have had at getting people to not dig there.

There’s a cool place in GA that EJ and I went to. Used to be an open air reactor that they used when trying to create a nuclear powered airplane and later just research.
https://youtu.be/Bn6N2iV2_os

And with bad narration, but the dude actually goes inside:
https://youtu.be/wez7SMJtn8o

A park ranger came to talk to us while we were at the enterance to the underground stuff (presumably to make sure we weren’t going to do what these guys did). Told us that they pretty regularly pull bodies out of there that people have tried to hide.

I’ve read a fair bit about the attempts to come up with a system to deter future civilizations from digging in our nuclear waste. It’s such an interesting problem. Almost nothing will stop human curiosity, as we well know. I love that the best ideas are those creating a mythos concerning the waste.

In the end none of it will work and whatever civilization is here 10,000 years from now will hopefully be able to handle the wastes of our elementary attempt at controlling matter. We all know 12,000 AD is going to happen but to actually think about the people walking around digging holes at that point is something else entirely. I love it.

Wheelbuilding mess.

Spent some time sorting thru some of my parts bins. What can I say - I like the Turbo.

[quote=Straws]I’ve read a fair bit about the attempts to come up with a system to deter future civilizations from digging in our nuclear waste. It’s such an interesting problem. Almost nothing will stop human curiosity, as we well know. I love that the best ideas are those creating a mythos concerning the waste.

In the end none of it will work and whatever civilization is here 10,000 years from now will hopefully be able to handle the wastes of our elementary attempt at controlling matter. We all know 12,000 AD is going to happen but to actually think about the people walking around digging holes at that point is something else entirely. I love it.[/quote]

Speculative archaeology! I read an article about this as a kid, it really messed with my sense of history. I knew that the pyramids and Ankgor Wat were old and stuff, but the idea that one day I’d be part of a long-vanished culture blew my mind. If memory serves, the article I read also suggested enormous pyramids covered in massive granite spikes and skulls. Unfortunately, that’s the international symbol for “dudes there’s totally some badass stuff down here!”

[quote=The RTS]

Spent some time sorting thru some of my parts bins. What can I say - I like the Turbo.[/quote]
i approve of your workbench.