Post your Dirty Jumper

holy shit, squirrel! that bike is bonkers!

[quote=dotMR][quote=Andrew_Squirrel]

List of changes from the previous brown iteration:

• WTB Byway Tires setup tubeless with Orange Seal Endurance Sealant.
    [/quote]

Just for the color, amirite?[/quote]

Of course! …and the generic tubeless rim tape (seen on Tarck Recommends) matches too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0Z1Z5C/

Love the squiggly line formed by the bar/rack/low-rider

[quote=kmcdon]Man.

I know an absolute madman who uses one of those as his city/lockup/rain bike.

It makes me very upset and jealous. He even has those stupid race blade fender things on it.[/quote]
I’ve known two messengers who have worked on that same Merckx

That’s an awesome setup. Nothing like a bike that has undergone improvements from use.

damnit, this is exactly what I was going to post.

bravo squirl, ultimate evolution indeed. how’s the RX mech?

[quote=Shortpants][quote=kmcdon]Man.

It makes me very upset and jealous. He even has those stupid race blade fender things on it.[/quote]
I’ve known two messengers who have worked on that same Merckx[/quote]

Guy who I’m talking about is a former messbro/current teacher.

I think he’s holding on to his roots. I’m OK with it but I still cringe every time I see it locked up in the rain.

[quote=kmcdon][quote=Shortpants][quote=kmcdon]Man.

I’ve known two messengers who have worked on that same Merckx[/quote]

Guy who I’m talking about is a former messbro/current teacher.

I think he’s holding on to his roots. I’m OK with it but I still cringe every time I see it locked up in the rain.[/quote]

Not gonna lie, I’ve wanted one pretty bad since I saw one ridden here by a messenger. His was all dirty and scratched up with carbon Record 10. Only other Telekom I’ve seen in Sweden.

I would never do this to a mint, collectable frame (nor could I afford one), but I love dirty old road bikes, especially team paint Merckxi. This one had been raced and abused so I feel ok about it.

I don’t know if I mentioned it before, but the last Merckx wasn’t stolen off the street, and I’d locked it up overnight in the city several times. It was taken from my apartment building’s bike room where I’m sure someone had cased it and come prepared for the massive chain it was locked with. Street theft is relatively rare here, but bike rooms get popped all the time.

Anyway, I have a 3 week gig coming up with a 30km commute that I’m really looking forward to. I haven’t ridden since I stayed home with L and I’m stoked.

Nice job on the final form Squirrel! I think that bike was always gonna feel incomplete as long as it wasn’t orange.

No issues with the RX800 rear derailleur handling up to 36t? I wanted to get one instead of the mtb dangler + tanpan but I was wary of the claimed 34t max capacity. Of course I also wanna try it up to a 40t…

Edit: figured I should also, you know, post a bike. not many changes here really

This bike now features my beautiful, dark, twisted drivetrain fantasy: 50/34 up front, 11-40 in the back with a long cage shimano xt clutch dangler and tanpan. ALL THE RANGE! I can even cross chain it, I’m pretty surprised it works as well as it does. B screw had to go in a fair ways to clear the 40, which means the higher gears don’t shift as snappily as I might like, but it definitely works fine- I think I’m only noticing it since I was coming from a full 6800 group which shifted beautifully. The jumps between cogs take some getting used to, I might end up going down to an 11-36 and RX800 gorilla, especially if I go to a nerd subcompact and move this crankset to another bike.

Squirrel, I am VERY disappointed that your decaleur isn’t painted to match your racks.

So jealous of all these XL Ozette bags.

No issues with the RX800 yet. I had quite a bit of B-screw left sticking out after setting it for the 36 cog so that was reassuring.
I like the style of the new rubberized cable tension knob.

There are a bunch of comparison photos on my Flickr if you’re interested

Hey! I’m JUST about to do this. I’ve got a 11x42 and 11x46 cassette sitting in boxes waiting to go on right now, and the TanPan showed up last month.

Right now I’m using a Roadlink on a 105 derailleur to get me to 36t and works positively great. I’m curious why are you not going bigger than 36t? I mean, that’s kind of the point of using the TanPan over the RoadLink I thought?

Tanpan was designed to change the cable pull from Shimano Road Levers -> Shimano MTB Dangler so you can get a clutched dangler if desired
Bonus of Tanpan is that the MTB dangler doesn’t need an extra roadlink elbow because they are designed for wide range cassette.

New RX800 dangler is designed to work normally with Shimano road levers so you can clutch a drop bar bike without changes.

I’ve been really happy with 30t chainring & 36t cog and never felt the need to go lower. TBH if my momentum was any lower I might just fall over (probably a product of my bad handling skills and non-MTB geometry)

Just so I’m clear - your plan is/has been to replace the XT+TanPan with the RX800 by itself? The RX800 will clear 36t?

Edit: oooOOOhhhh. I just looked it up. This would have been ideal like 2 years ago and made the RoadLink I have unnecessary.

I’m still doing XT+TanPan and will go to 42t because I pedal slow, but this is cool. Thanks dude.

Not feeling all the blue, it’s a bit too matchy-match for me (and would probably get lightly mocked in some threads if we didn’t know you), but otherwise is definitely worthy of being interred with your bones, Egyptian king style.

^ You’d love it if it was a Vaya

single-color bikes without logos always look weird to me
atmo
looks fun to ride

Call MoMA. Srsly.